Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: man struck by train after going around gates

Default man struck by train after going around gates

http://ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=65125

I saw this on KSDK's website even though I am in Oregon and on a slow dialup connection. Some guy drove around gates that just came down and got killed by a train. dumb

Default RE: man struck by train after going around gates

It says in the article that the man was 'severly injured' unless that is a recent fact that he died.

It's sad that it takes something like this to show that trespassing on railroad property may be hazardous to your health. Maybe money shouldn't be spent on putting gates at railrod crossings if people interpret them as "detour" signs. I wish the best to the crew of the train.

He was trespassing on railroad property, plain and simple. I'd turn that picture in to the police. If that isn't enough evidence to prove that the driver is guilty in court, then the police could at least call him down to the station and give him a stern warning about respecting the railroad's right-of-way. If possible, you should find out if the train's crew could be availible to corroborate what you saw.

Well, I'd hope they could. You caught them right in the act. Would help to get it to the proper authorities, ASAP, though.. :)

Chris
    [hr width="418" align="left"][table border="0" width="210"][tr][td align="center" align="middle"][blink]Visit->[/blink] [link:www.trainsimreviews.com/| [Link Expired]
    [/td][/tr]
    [tr][td rowspan][IMG SRC="http://home.triad.rr.com/tsr/img/tspic.gif"]
    [/td][/tr][/table]

>Here is a shot I took a few weekends ago in Brechin Ontario.
    > The train was starting out of the hole so when this dummy
    >went around the gates the train was doing 5 mph about 100
    >meters away. But the speed is beyond the point. I snapped a
    >shot of him and was able to get his license plate.
    >
    >I wonder if the police can do anything with this?

Here in Alberta, Canada, the police CAN and WILL do something with a photo like that. I strongly urge you to take it to your local cop shop. The police may ask if you are prepared to submit a written statement and appear in court if the owner of the vehicle pleads not guilty. If you are prepared to submit said statement and appear in court, police here will issue a ticket to the registered owner of the vehicle.

Should you have to appear in court, the prosecutor would simply verify that you took the picture and the date and time the picture was taken. It is doubtful much more would be asked of you. I'd wager there is a very good chance something like this would not see a courtroom; it would be better of the driver to pay the ticket and shut up. :)

Cheers,

Gary Cameron
    Grande Prairie "The last civilized stop before Alaska," AB
    Canada

In our community they put concrete dividers on the pavement between lanes, so that cars cannot drive around the barriers.

It seems a shame that such precautions have to be taken to shield people from their own stupidity!

Cheers; Chuck F.
    Cheers; Chuck F.

"the people keep coming but the train has gone"

>
    >In our community they put concrete dividers on the pavement
    >between lanes, so that cars cannot drive around the
    >barriers.
    >
    >It seems a shame that such precautions have to be taken to
    >shield people from their own stupidity!

That was brought up for the Chicago area because railroads has seen too many drive around gates. Problem is money and politics, Who is going to pay for it? I know some western community like Downers Grove or Naperville has something like a post barriers between the lanes leading up to the gates. I don't know if they still have this. I think having a double gate crossing is a better idea for both lanes but again money and politics is the problem.

I have seen a Express Taxi going around a downed crossing gates late night last week while a BNSF freight was approaching about 5 to 10 MPH. I wished I had my camera or got the Taxi number ID so I can call the Berwyn Police. There was a passenger in the back seat, too.

I don't feel sorry for the guy that got killed going around the gates(first message). That's what he gets for his stupidity. Is few more minutes wait not worth your life? Is he in a hurry to kill himself?

Ken Plaza ;-)
    [Link Expired]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [URL="https://www.facebook.com/ken.plaza.9"]My Facebook Page
    [/URL][URL="http://jeffreywimberly.proboards.com/"]Rails of the World Forum
    [/URL][URL="http://frankoburns.proboards.com/"]Mophouse-MLTDownloads Froum[/URL]

At first in Downers Grove, there were plastic posts with black and yellow stripes in between lanes, I'm not sure if they were effective or not, because a few months later, they put in about an 8 inch concrete dividers (basically a curb in the middle of the road)at Main Street and Forest Avenue. The other four crossings in DG do not have these concrete dividers, but Fairview Avenue does have a video-enforced crossing.

dont mean to sound mean but im glad he got hit he deserved it for being that dumb.