Thread: Major peeves with RailDriver...

Default Major peeves with RailDriver...

I finally got my RailDriver...unfortunally, I am NOT a satisfied customer. x(

Issue 1, slow-responding controls in sim: I calabrated all the controls that where required and played the game in RailDriver (am I supposed to?).
    Anyway, I played a default route. Tried all the buttons, they all work OK...but the levers are another story.
    I tried to apply full brake using the Auto Brake...it took a minute to move the knobs to Continuious Service.
    The auto brake doesn't work as fast as I flip it...why? The same way with the Indipendant Brake.
    The throttle however, works at an acceptiable speed. I'm just complaining about the slow braking where I can do it a WHOLE lot faster on the keyboard.

Issue 2, stuck reverser in sim: I tried the reverser, switched it to reverse, it did it as quickly as I pushed it. Then I tried putting it in Forward...the reverser is STUCK in reverse in the sim. Pulling the reverser lever back and forth doesn't work.
    I have calaberated it 3 times...and it keeps getting stuck.

I know I shouldn't complain...but I paid over $150 for this, and I want my money's worth.

FYI, I am running the game with "Simple Controls: ON". Do I need to disable it to get everything to work faster?

I do like the fact I got a free route with this thing. The "MideastUK" route. It looks like it's electrified through it's entire length(judging by the picture on the CD).

-BeaverMon, AKA Ben-

Default RE: Major peeves with RailDriver...

Sounds like you are having trouble with screen grabs.

Are you running much FSAA?

What is your vidcard?

Are you using any driver aid enhancements which have altered the HUD? (such as boldface text)

Since RD needs to be able to clearly read the HUD in order to send the respective key presses to MSTS, failure to decipher the HUD can cause the symptoms you are describing.

A little more info on your setup would be helpful. :)

Alright. Hang on here. Let's see.

I'm not sure what "FSAA" is.

My video card is a NVIDIA Geforce FX 5200.

I'm using semi-transparent driver aids for the Track Monitor, Switch, next station display, and umm...and I think that's it.

I didn't change the HUD (the F5 key?...not sure) in anyway.

-BeaverMon, AKA Ben-

FSAA is "Full Screen Anti-Aliasing". It does some pixel smoothing to get rid of "jaggies" on your screen. A side effect is that it also blurs text, so RD might have trouble reading the HUD.

Go to your vid card settings and see what your FSAA setting is. Turn it off and see if things improve.

I know someone is going to pipe up and say that FSAA isn't enabled in MSTS unless you use the command line switch. I don't know about nVidia cards, but with ATI, if you turn on FSAA you get it without the switch.

I am able to run 4x FSAA on my system with no adverse RD issues.

If turning off FSAA fixes the problem, you can try stepping it up until the problem resurfaces.

Default No more peeves!! :-D

YAYERS!!! I got it working at it's full power!

All I did was turn off Simple Controls and I was able to control ALL of the train, including a non-stuck reverser(with a neutral gear), and for the 1st time for me, the Dynamic Brake(I liked it's buzzer sound).

The Engine and Locomotive Brakes are responding to the RailDriver ALOT better then they where before!

I never used non-simple controls though. It's gonna take some time to master just driving the TRAIN, before I begin to grab cargo.

-BeaverMon, AKA Ben-

Default RE: No more peeves!! :-D

Ben,

A simple solution to a difficult problem.

I do the tech support (Among other things) for the RailDriver producs, sometimes we do not work right out of the box since everyone has their machines set up differently, if you get any further issues then email me at [email protected] and I will endeavor to help, I think most on here can speak up and say that I do stick to my word on that one :)

1.The Controller must read the Heads Up Display in the top right of the screen this is becuase MSTS does not come with one of those lovely game interfaces for hardware that we love so much in other games.

2. Do not put Track Monitor over the top od the HUD - it will stop us getting the feedback we need to work

3. Do Not Anti Alias, this smooths the heads up display and stops us from working

4. Do Not use a 3rd party downloadble replacment for the HUD.

5. The RailDriver will drive any train with the following exceptions
    a. Trains with combined Brakes/throttle lever, MSTS displays its HUD Incorrectly so therefore we can't support this type of controls.

b. If the Creator of the model has altered the trainbrakes controller and engine brakes controller settings in the trains engine file in MSTS it can cause a mismatch between the controls and the cab file, this shows as slow brakes and brakes going into emergency when you make a full application (almost like your simple controls issue)

If you can learn how to edit text in an engine file you can edit this as a workaround, I will have a couple of different cabmaker files soon which will help this issue.

Mideast UK is 300 miles of the UK's east Coast Mainline from kings cross in London, it is the Actul route of the Flying Scotsman and at Milepist 91 3/4 in 1938 the world steam speed record was broken and as per the real route, the sign is there to commemorate the event.

The line is not electrified since it then allows for more variety of trains to be run in the period the route is set.

I hope this helps

Tim

Default RE: No more peeves!! :-D

I was having alot of issues with those trains in the MideastUK route with RailDriver, so I decided to get rid of the route.

-BeaverMon, AKA Ben-