Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: People crossing campus RR crossing

Concord, North Carolina, United States of America.

Default People crossing campus RR crossing

I live on a college campus that has a Railroad line going through it. The campus has about three to four crossing that has the sign but not the bells, and the lights and the arms. Because of that people tend to ignore the sign. EVEN when the train is coming down the track blowing the horn. What I saw today was amazing. This train was going down the track at about 35-25 mph, and two students, and a teacher crosses the crossing when the train was about 50 feet to 25 feet away! The engineer was pratically laying on the horn. I mean jeez, when you see a 15 ton piece of equipment going down the line, then don't you think you should maybe stop and let it pass? I'm going to watch the crossing more often and bring my camera. Maybe I can get Norfolk Southern or the college to put up signs or an arm.

Default RE: People crossing campus RR crossing

It couldn't hurt, just don't go around preaching the word of the railroad..might ruin your chances with the ladies if you know what I mean. Last thing they want is to be getting undressed and have you rush to the window to see what locomotive is on the point. :-)

On a more serious side, I would encourage you to explore seeing if your school wants to do something about this problem. If they don't, then appraoch NS, and if that fails, head higher, the state, NTSB, and so on.

Concord, North Carolina, United States of America.

Well before I approach anyone I'm going to take a few pictures, that proves my point. Then I will present them to whoever will listen to me.

NW 1218 Guest

Hey man, sounds like one good idea. In that case, NS definitally needs to put up some sort of pedestrian arm or something like that. Needs bells also. Those usually help.

Emory & Henry, right? I could tell you some stories from the late 60s...but I won't.

Aloha, Jeff Link
    Island Electric - West

The way it works is that the municipality or state has to pay for the signal installation if they decide they need one at that crossing. And if the college is a private institution, rather than a state funded one then that crossing might even be considered a private crossing. In that case, the property owners, i.e. the college would have to pay to have a signal installed. And it can cost over $100,000 to do just one crossing depending on what type of system is installed. All the railroad has to do is maintain them once they are installed.

Sean,

Have you thought of contacting an [link:www.oli.org|Operation Lifesaver] representative in your area? Perhaps you could arrange a presentation on campus. If you check with your student government I'm sure the would be more than happy to make some arrangements.

Andrew Pickell

[link:www3.telus.net/apickell/SquamishSub/bcrhome.htm|BC Rail Squamish Subdivision for MSTS]
    http://www3.telus.net/apickell/SquamishSub/banner.jpg

Sean
    It's what I like to call Darwinisim in action, sometimes a train can be nature's way of saying "You, outta the gene pool" particularly with someone old enough to know better(doubly so for a teacher, sheesh!).

Does the college have a required student orientation course? A suggestion to the college's administration to add cautions about railroad crossing safety to the student orientation course might be appropriate.

"Last thing they want is to be getting undressed and have you rush to the window to see what locomotive is on the point. "

Drove my ex nuts whenever i heard a horn at western mi univ