Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Altoona, PA Railfest '04

Default Altoona, PA Railfest '04

I'll be there on the 2nd and 3rd (Saturday and Sunday, in October), just wondered if anyone else on the forums was going.

Default RE: Altoona, PA Railfest '04

Was last up there for the 4th of July at Horseshoe Curve, currently plotting with Mrs. Fuzzums to get up there for Railfest, hopefully there'll be plenty of time for a visit to the usual spots (the Curve, Gallitzin, Cresson observation deck and the porch of the Station Inn). Maybe if I stay at the Days Inn in Altoona again I can find the AC adapter/battery charger for my video camera that I lost on the 4th (drat).

Mr. F

I will be there. My dad and I have been going to it since the very first one. Kinda funny Mr. Fuzzums, I was just there less than a week after July 4th. Kinda pissed as it was the only trip I didnt take my camera and I missed out recording an SW1500 on the turntable at the shops, a MOW train at the curve, and an evening full of NS miss-haps in downtown Altoona, also it was definatly the most action I have ever seen on the curve in my 10 years of going there twice a year. Oh well, I will have this time for the E-8s again. (I heard that there is a 50/50 chance of K4 #1361 finally running at railfest in 2005, I wont believe till I see it though) Not sure if I will ride the train this year, kinda gets boring after a while.

I'm gonna try to be there, though its tough when its in the middle of a college semester.

And that's a good attitude with the K4, don't believe it til you see it. But one things for certain, when (if?) its done, it'll be one heck of an engine. Like new, if you will. The problem is where to run it...

Tim Botti
    University of Pittsburgh
    Mechanical Engineering

We'll see 611 steam again...someday.

>And that's a good attitude with the K4, don't believe it til
    >you see it. But one things for certain, when (if?) its done,
    >it'll be one heck of an engine. Like new, if you will. The
    >problem is where to run it...

Well I dont think it will be run often, they are building that roundhouse for it at the Altoona Museum, so other than Railfest and a few other things maybe I think it will stay there. I am assuming it would need help pulling passenger cars up the mountain during Railfest, but for gawd's sake dont put NS Geeps behind it, just lash the E-8s to it and it would be a great show. I like the idea of running PRR coaches behind the E-8s as it is great for still photos as there are no Amfleets directly behind the E-8s to ruin the shot.
    Hopefully the weather will be good. If I remember correctly last year was very cold and 2 years before that was absolutley HORRIBLE, I think it was actually snowing at one point. Of course I could just have a bad memory....

I looked all around the Net last night and couldn't find any info on what the price of admission is like to the Railfest events...the Railroader's Heritage site still says "details coming later in July". What's the costs like?

Mr. F

I'm planning on going, just waiting to find out more info, which as said above it still not coming easy. Is there a official site for it?

We got something in the mail about it, ticket sign ups were on it too. I would call the museum in Altoon for ticket info, there number is on the net somewhere.

I've never been to Railfest even though I live so close, I dropped the idea of going after NS stopped the shop tours, I might go in 2005 now that the E8's are running on a shortline instead of heading on the Curve (been on that trackage on Amtrak too many times ;-) ), as for the 1361, I remember reading in early 1998 that it would run at Railfest '98 and I hear "it will this year" many times, can't wait for it to be finished but it won't be anytime soon. :(

The phone number for the Railroader's museum is 814-946-0834 or 888-425-8666. Railfest admission for the weekend and one horseshoe curve excursion behind the PRR E8's is $25.00 per person, or you can upgrade to private car Warrior Ridge (which is what my father and I did) for an extra 25 per person. There's also long distance excursions; Altoona-Pittsburgh and back (overnight in Pittsburgh), Johnstown to Altoona and back or Harrisburg or Philly to Pittsburgh and back (stopping in Altoona for a while). Some parts of these excursions are aboard Amtrak trains BTW. I don't remember the prices for these excursions since I sent my order form in a couple weeks ago, so call for more info on them.

Unfortuantly the K4 probably won't be running anytime soon. I was at the shops in Steamtown in Scranton, PA for about a week last summer. This is where the K4 is undergoing restoration, and it's far from even reassembled. One shop worker I talked to said he would be surprised if it was done ten years from now.