Thread: power outage question

Default power outage question

While reading another thread that mentioned the power outages in Florida, I was caused to wonder about the official railroad rules with regard to power outages.

I understand that if a track signal is dark, and the engineer has no other orders from the dispatcher or MOW crew, the signal is to be treated as if it is showing its most restrictive phase. Usually this would be stop or restricting. If the engineer knows the power is out and controlled crossings (i.e. lights and/or gates) may not be working, what is the correct action?

Cheers,

Gary Cameron
    Grande Prairie "The last civilized stop before Alaska," AB
    Canada

Default RE: power outage question

It all falls back to the "stop and flag" rule. The train must stop short of any protected crossing. The brakeman must get off and the crossing flagged by him, until the train occupies the crossing, then his train may proceed at resticted speed until a signal aspect more favorable than "restricting" is passed, then his train may proceed at timetable speed according to the rules governing that signal and track territory.

Any time we had a crossing that was not working properely, a "stop and flag" order was placed on that crossing until one of us could get there and fix the thing. That ment trains were to do the above, (though 3 did not one day at 2 crossings in Higginsville, Mo. that had the order placed on them. 2 trains blew through the crossings at track speed! One train rolled through at 5 MPH, but did not flag the crossing at all. The crossing protection was out completely, ...2 crews got fired for 60 days and the other crew was fired completely.)
    Very lucky no one got killed that day!
    GM&O SIMULATIONS
    www.mstsgmo.com

On UP, each crossing equipped with gates/bells has a white light on the outside of the trackside relay box. If a crew cannot see that white light, it's 'stop and flag' time. Not sure about other railroads, but I've seen a couple of those bulbs burnt out due to age...the crossing signals worked fine, but the crew still stopped and "flagged" the crossing.

Yes, that came along the year I left the RR. Those "power on" lights were a good idea too.
    GM&O SIMULATIONS
    www.mstsgmo.com