Thread: Kinzua Bridge Removed From National Register Of Histori

OCrailfan Guest

Default Kinzua Bridge Removed From National Register Of Histori

KINZUA VIADUCT REMOVED FROM NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES: The Kinzua Viaduct, a railroad bridge that was once the longest and tallest in the world, has been taken off the National Register of Historic Places because of a tornado that ripped apart the engineering marvel last July. But what really bothers state historians is the date on which that decision was made official: July 21, the one-year anniversary of the tornado whose 94 mph winds toppled the trestle. Officially, the viaduct was removed from the register because the storm damage ruined it's "integrity" that is, the structure's soundness and similarity to its original condition. The Rendell administration decided it could not afford an estimated $45 million to rebuild the bridge, which stretched almost a half-mile and towered 301 feet above a gorge near the Allegheny National Forest, about 110 miles northeast of Pittsburgh. (AP - posted 8/17)

Default RE: Kinzua Bridge Removed From National Register Of His

While I commiserate with you, it's probably pretty hard to reconcile spending 45 Mil on a bridge that has no "viable use". Being a ex-Pennsylvanian, I know I would find it hard to have my taxes spent that way.

At least this historical landmark was knocked down by a force of nature...Do you recall that a contractor mistakenly tore down Edgar Allen Poe's house in Philadelphia? Can't remember if Rendell or Goode was mayor at the time, so I can't draw any correlation.

Frank Musick

Moving America into the 19th Century!
    [Link Expired]
    www.kelticsylk.com

Default RE%3A Kinzua Bridge Removed From National Register Of H

not to start a politcal battle, but i wonde rif the bridge was in Philadelphia County if it would have been rebuilt...

Frank

At least this historical landmark was knocked down by a force of nature...Do you recall that a contractor mistakenly tore down Edgar Allen Poe's house in Philadelphia? Can't remember if Rendell or Goode was mayor at the time, so I can't draw any correlation.

How very true,they've also removed Soldier Field here in Chicago despite Mayor Richie's(though some can claim his ego as a force of nature) claims that leaving the columnades at the base of that gawd awfull UFO still retained the historical integrity.

Man, I can not believe this, I was just there at the beginnig of this month. It will be sad to see the bridge taken off of the list.
    John Rehus III

Default RE: RE%3A Kinzua Bridge Removed From National Register

Probably not...Unless of course the contractor was a friend of the Street family and/or contibuted a great deal of money to the correct political organizations.

Frank Musick

Moving America into the 19th Century!
    [Link Expired]
    www.kelticsylk.com