Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win XP rebooting out of sleep mode

Default Win XP rebooting out of sleep mode

Hey, all. My father-in-law is having some trouble with his WinXP Home installation. He has it set up for power management and in the last couple of weeks, it apparently has been rebooting rather than coming out of sleep mode whenever he moves the mouse or touches the keyboard. I have witnessed this happen a few times and can't figure out what's going on, but I'm not really familiar with XP. I can't find anything in the microsoft databases. He had a program called "SpyKiller" installed about a month ago (which corresponded to about the time the Power Management problems started) and it was running constantly, so I got rid of that thinking it was sapping the system resources, but it is still rebooting today. Any ideas?? Thanks!!

Default RE: Win XP rebooting out of sleep mode

Check to see if the option to automatically reboot on a system failure (i.e., a blue-screen crash) is enabled (it is by default) and uncheck it. Right-click on My Computer, choose Properties, then Advanced, and then click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery, and it's in the 'system failure' section. There could be a blue screen error occurring that you don't see because the system is automatically rebooting and never giving you a chance to see the error. If that is what's happening, at least after that you'll be able to see the error and troubleshoot from there. Sounds to me like either one of his device drivers doesn't play nice with power management, or some remnants of that program are causing problems.

While you're at it you can set the memory dump size under 'Write debugging information' in the same section to 'None'--otherwise every time you have a BSOD crash the system creates a memory dump file (*.dmp)down in the system folders, which can build up over time like temp files and serve no purpose unless you're a programmer that needs to know what was in RAM at the time of the crash.

Windows XP does not have the so called "blue screen of death" thank god. He might want to set it so that it does not hibernate.

Um, yes it does....been getting a few myself recently while experimenting with overclocking, so they are very much still there.

shadowr434 Guest

Its best to not use hibernate,Just asking for trouble.

Agreed...myself, I just blank the monitor when idle. Once had a PC that would "forget" it had a sound card installed when it awoke. Turned that off pretty quickly.

>Windows XP does not have the so called "blue screen of death" thank god.

Errr, yes it does, all of the NT kernel's have it (NT, 2000, xp, 2003)

Cheers
    Derek

Clayton,

Check to make sure the machine thinks it is an ACPI machine (my computer | properties).
    Check to see if there is a bios upgrade for the motherboard, some of these problems have been fixed in later bios's.

Cheers
    Derek

WEll if there is I have never gotten one since upgrading to Windows XP.

That means I'm doign something angelic
    Just remember the name I'm no angel
    hahahahahahahahahaha

Dunno whether it is realted or not, but the computer I am using now, cannot go into sleep mode. After about 10 seconds of "sleeping", it goes back on again to the desktop. So it cannot sleep for more than 10 seconds.
    Then I tried using my firewall to disbale Internet Access to see if it worked. So it really worked and was able to sleep until I touched the mouse or keyboard. But the onl problem was that after switching on the Internet Access, I had to reset the Internet Configuration.