Thread: Northeast Corridor Car Compatibility

Default Northeast Corridor Car Compatibility

Hi, all

Just wondering (I am making some activities) if Superliner cars are allowed on the NEC. It's just that I recently got the Highball Northeast Corridor DVD and not one was to be seen! :(

Default RE: Northeast Corridor Car Compatibility

Nope, expect on one time in 1995 (when a special train ran to 30th Street) Superliners have never run on the NEC.

Thanks!:-) I assume this is because of the catenary?

From what I understand, yes. Once upon a time, there was enough of a clearance problem in the general area for the B&O to order what it called 'Strata-Domes', which had the dome component chopped down to a lower profile.* I also read something that suggested B&O practice was to chase people out of the domes when around catenary, due to the fear of striking a wire.

Nowadays, the clearance thing should be solved, but the possibility of catching a wire is greater now, and so is the possibility of litigation. Given that some NEC catenary reportedly predates the loss of RMS Titanic, worrying about a downed wire is sensible.

* At least that's what I think they called them.

EDIT: According to Usenet Amtrak types, "No Superliner trains run on the NEC mostly because of clearances, but also because the NEC has high-level platforms and the Superliners require low-level platforms." That might be a rather important reason; I don't know.

Speaking of the B&O (now CSX line) into Washington Union Station, the Capitol Limited operates into Union Station with Superliners, and the Cardinal did too when it had Superliners, neither train going beyond Union Station, though.

Recent years have seen all sorts of bilevels operated by Virginia Railway Express under the wires at Union Station--Kawasaki cars, Bombardier cars, and two varieties of gallery coaches, and MARC for several years has been running bilevel cars up the corridor from Washington, though these cars may not be as tall as Superliners.

Steve Dunham
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Steve Dunham
    Alexandria, VA
    www.stevedunham.50megs.com

The problem as I understand it is that the tunnels in New York and one one side of Washinqton don't have adaquate clearance for extra height cars - even simple dome cars which are lower than superliners are forbidden. Superliners operate in and out of Washington Union Station (Capital Limited, Cardinal, and Crecent) but the trains heading south out of wasington to Florida and North to New York and Boston have the restriction. This ia also whay the Autotrain starts south of Washington. I beleave the tracks in Washington Union Station that host Superliners have catenery but I am not sure - perhaps some of the station track lack catenery. Also because of the restrictions this trackage is of little use for freight as most modern cars won't fit the clearnaces which is why Amtrak has the track.

Be Seeing you.
    Michael