Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How does CP operate in the US?

Default How does CP operate in the US?

Here's a good question that I've been thinking about lately.

CP, as a railway, seems to operate a majority of its routes in the US - a check of their route map confirms this. Obviously, the crews operating in the US can't be all Canadian - you have to change crews every so often and it'd make sense to reason that CP/Soo trains in the US would often be operated by American crews.

However, since CP is in a nationalized country, doesn't that prevent them from hiring anyone outside of Canada?

I would first think that maybe CP and Soo have separate equipment and crews in the US and Canada, or that Soo would lease units from the CP, but looking around about the internet, that would make no sense, as Soo isn't just a part of CP Rail - it IS CP Rail. So far, when I looked around none of the equipment is really listed as Soo, it's all listed as CP on the equipment rosters I've seen, and none of the CP units operate under any kind of Soo titles or anything.

So the question stands: can CP hire American employees? If so, how can they, legally?

http://sgair.net/erick/SIGS/CP_BANNER.JPG

[font size=1]"The F59PHI and Genesis are the lamest excuses for locomotives Amtrak has ever operated - accept it and move on. Hug an F40 before it's too late!"[/font]

Default RE: How does CP operate in the US?

Hi Erick; I don't know about CP, but BNSF hires Canadians in Canada and they run to Belingham, WA on the west coast.

Cheers; Chuck F.
    Cheers; Chuck F.

"the people keep coming but the train has gone"

I think Canadian crews are allowed to bring trains into the US but US/Canada labour laws prevent Canadian crews from working in the US. When CP trains cross to the US at Detroit they are taken over by CSX crews. The tracks are CSX for most of the way to Chicago, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I don't know if CP has genuin CP owned/operated trackage in the US. Most of it is former US railway companies.

From what I see in the news in Canada is that both CN and CP have bought a lot of trackage in the US. Both companies own rail or running rights from Canada into Mexico. The next question is who will build and run a railroad to Alaska.

Cheers; Chuck F.
    Cheers; Chuck F.

"the people keep coming but the train has gone"

>However, since CP is in a nationalized country, doesn't that
    >prevent them from hiring anyone outside of Canada?

What do you mean by a "nationalized country"?

The oil and other industries here hire Americans and American companies all the time to come in and do specialized consulting work.

As a Canadian, I have done work for American clients.

Both governments have rules governing this and sometimes lots of paperwork but for specialized situations, companies find it efficient to do so.

>So the question stands: can CP hire American employees? If
    >so, how can they, legally?

I strongly suspect that in Canada, CP hires Canadians and in the US they hire Americans. No doubt some crews do cross the border but there is probably a special arrangement and special rules worked out with both governments.

Cheers,

Gary Cameron
    Grande Prairie "The last civilized stop before Alaska," AB
    Canada

CPR has its two divisions in the US. Mainly stocked with US staff.
    But! Canadian division arrangements in southern ontario at least see canadian crews (which even in the hiring process due to crossing the border have to go through background checks etc). They take the trains through the Detroit River Tunnel, into Detroit, and CSX crews take over.

As well with CNR. Pt Huron GTW crews can run into Sarnia's yard, and CN crews can run through the tunnel to Pt Huron, where the crew change takes place. If ya really want to get finnicky. CN's St Clair Tunnel, and a portion of the GTW just outside the tunnel, is controlled by the CN Strathroy Sub dispatcher. Who's located in Toronto :P

What about the from the detroit tunnel to CN (ex DT&I) yard in Flatrock michigan?

Longhairedwizard

At the border crossing of Kinsgate, BC and East Port, Idaho, the CP crews bring trains to the border where the crew is then changed off with an American crew. The locos are no longer changed as before but are run through.
    The reverse happens with crews from UP bringing trains up to the border and turning them over to Canadian CP crews to bring back to Cranbrook.
    In years past trains were brought into the yard and power was taken off to be put on cars that were to be pulled up to Canada.
    The present arrangement seems to save a lot of time and money for the Railroads concerned.

>I think Canadian crews are allowed to bring trains into the
    >US but US/Canada labour laws prevent Canadian crews from
    >working in the US. When CP trains cross to the US at
    >Detroit they are taken over by CSX crews. The tracks are
    >CSX for most of the way to Chicago, but I'm not 100% sure on
    >that. I don't know if CP has genuin CP owned/operated
    >trackage in the US. Most of it is former US railway
    >companies.

These trains will soon be operated on NS ex-Wabash between Detroit, Michigan and Butler, Indiana (NW Indiana) and NS ex-NYC between Butler and Chicago. A connection is being put in place for these trains. I had a email with the details on this, but I seem to have deleted it. :P

Similar arrangement, but its a CP controlled tunnel. All crews have to be cleared by both customs agencies in order to go through the tunnel.