Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's EMD gonna do next?

Default What's EMD gonna do next?

What's EMD gonna do next? Are they doing a SD100MAC-H II or something? An SD90ACe?

Maybe they should continue the DD series :P

Default RE: What's EMD gonna do next?

They will re-open E8 production.

http://sgair.net/erick/SIGS/CP_BANNER.JPG

[font size=1]"The F59PHI and Genesis are the lamest excuses for locomotives Amtrak has ever operated - accept it and move on. Hug an F40 before it's too late!"[/font]

NW 1218 Guest

They will move back to LaGrange. :)

They'll fire up the SD40-2 assembly line! :D

And hopefully take over and throw GE off Mount Olympus! ;)

Move back to LaGrange?

I second that :)

Fire up SD40-2 production?

Sure, but only after the late phase GP40s :)-Jeffrey

I don't think so. You are missing a key point here. Railroads are not really in need of more power per unit right now, as the 420-440,000 pound weight limit really precludes putting that kind of power to productive use with current adhesion capabilities. Even the 5,000 HP units really can't be fully exploited, and many of the 6,000 HP AC designs are being brought back to 4300-4400 HP, as the acceleration of AC designs seems a little inferior to DC, and the 6,000 HP units have not performed well enough in fast freight service to justfy their higher fuel costs. Most UP SD90Macs now spend their time on junk freights, while the SD70M (DC version) gets the hot freights. With BNSF, the hot trains go to the CW44-9s, and they never did jump on the 6,000 HP wagon.
    If I were EMD design, I would go with a 4,200 HP DC with lower fuel consumption and lower emissions, and maybe a tweak on the wheelslip limiting to get another 1% adhesion (and go to a by the axle rather than by the truck slip reduction). What it lacked in glamour would be made up for in cash flow.
    My thoughts,
    Bob

I see what your saying Bob. There's a great artical in Trains this month on the high horsepower stuff.

Maybe that crazy NS is right with the whole nothing over 4000 HP, no AC stuff. But I got to say, those AC's are good for the mountan coal/heavy haul cause they don't stop. You can crawl forever at 2 MPH uphill with those things.

I do think about 4500 HP is the limit for the goods. The bigger stuff never worked right. (especally those twin-engined locos in the 60's)

Hi Dave,
    Oh, I agree, the AC designs are great for drag freights and coal, but the new designs just out, seem very well suited to handle that segment, and exploit current technology of AC traction. The other problem with AC, is its higher cost per unit. If you don't need AC for heavy freight, why pay the extra cost for AC on the containers and autoracks? And if you do need AC, you probably need 4,000-4,500 HP AC, so build them with reliable prime movers.
    The big twins had to try to put 6,600 HP on the rail with 25-27% adhesion. At least the AC units can get 42-44% adhesion to apply their 6,000 HP, and it still seems they just don't pay for themselves.
    Also, as to NS, they just don't have the wide open spaces to turn the ponies loose. UP and ATSF always needed more power, because they could run really fast.
    Bob

There was a nice artical in Trains or CTC Board about EMD and the 265H engine. It's funny how the engine did horrible in locomotive service, but performs flawlessly so far in Tug Service. I believe FOSS Tug Inc has 2 tugs equipped with the 265 and use them exclusively on cruise ships and major container ships. Instead needing 3-4 tugs, they just use 2 and easily do the job. Amazing really.

As for what EMD is going to do next... the flop with the ACe will probably see a restart up of the SD70M(AC) series. Basically the CSX SD75MAC (or SD70MAC.. I call it the 75MAC) design.
    Brian Bundridge
    TrainSim.com Moderator

Making some money for GM stock holders would be nice. AS an aside what ever happened to BNSF's LPG engine?