Thread: 1975 moorgate crash

Default RE: 1975 moorgate crash

Default RE: 1975 moorgate crash

I was on a training course in London at the time of this crash, and I remember the dread feeling as the training centre admin staff worked their way around the classrooms trying to work out if anyone was missing (the whole training centre was full of "out of towners").

The following week I had to attend an interview in a building very close to Moor Street and, whilst the station was open, the crash scene was still being worked on by the rescuers and parts of the wreckage was visible. The stench will remain with me forever (I guess anyone involved in something similar knows what I mean). I seem to recall that one of the carriages was telescoped into a ten foot long package. I also thought that there was a theory that the driver suffered a heart attack. Whatever, the end result was the same for the poor rush-hour commuters.

Mike

Default 1975 moorgate crash

History international ran a series about disasters in one Episode they talked about the 1975 moorgate crash in which an underground train crashed into a deadend tunnel but the said there was no known cause and claim something happened to the motorman that caused him to forget to put on the brakes. It also looks like the first three cars telescoped when the lead car hit the wall.