Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst Railroad Crashes/Derailments?

Default RE: Worst Railroad Crashes/Derailments?

I can't remember what mile post it was BUT it was about 8 years ago
    just south of Boston Bar B.C., there was a wash out on the CN line
    rails being welded rail never broke. The north bound crew hit the wash out and they lost there lives the 2 SD50 or SD60 i can't remember were just left there and cemented in place that was a very bad one.

Steve
    Blind Bay B.C.

The one I remember was at Canoe River on the CN Blue River Susdivision. A troop train coming home from WWII never made to to the West Coast. I don't remember the casualty count, but it was devistating to the families here. A long time ago, but still remembered.

Chuck F.
    Cheers; Chuck F.

"the people keep coming but the train has gone"

I think the recent "mishap" in N.Korea takes the cake.
    Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.- Winston Churchill

It seems like the initial reports that everyone got a hold of were greatly exaggerated (3-5,000 dead). I think North Korea did finally admit to the true scope of the crash, and it turned out to be two cars of explosives being switched on a siding, not two entire trains coming together. The cars were rickety and they were mishandled, causing the explosion. Actual death toll was said to be closer to 200-300, but still lots of buildings wiped out.

Worst in fatalities I think was the Modane, France troop train crash in 1917. The cars were way overloaded (less than half with air brakes) and the lone engine was way over its rated tonnage. The engineer refused to move the train knowing all this, but was forced to do so at gunpoint by the ranking officer on the scene! Sure enough the train ran away downgrade, the brakes either burned off or set fire to the coaches, and the whole consist reportedly left the tracks at ~90mph. The "official" body count was 543, but so many bodies were either unidentifiable or completely reduced to ashes that some put the actual toll closer to 900-1,000.

Hi Chuck
    About the Canoe River wreck, it took place as you noted at Canoe River, B.C. (mile 82) on the Albreda Sub., about 50 miles east of Blue River. The troop train, heading to Vancouver with soldiers going to serve in the Korean war collided with an eastward passenger train on November 21, 1950. There were no fatalities on the passenger train, but on the troop train, 17 members of the 2nd Regiment, Royal Canadian Horse Artillery lost their lives. The reason the accident happened was that the dispatcher had set up a meet at Canoe River, and the troop train was required to take the siding at the meet. Tragically, the train crew didn't receive the meet order from the train-order operator at Redpass Junction, about 40 miles east of Canoe River. This was all train order territory, with no block signals or radios, so the westward train didn't have a clue of the meet until they saw headlight of the other train. The only saving grace in the whole thing was the eastward train did have the meet order, so they were slowing down as they would have to stop at the east siding switch, which probably saved some lives. The lessons learned in this trajedy brought about changes in the next rule book that came out. I heard the story of the wreck when I was a little boy from my dad, who was the midnight train-order operator at Blue River at the time. I've always been grateful that he wasn't the one that made the mistake of missing the order. It would be an awful thing to have to live with. I could tell he felt terrible for his brother operator, as anyone can make mistakes, sometimes with drastic consequences. Anyway that's the very abreviated story. Thanks for bringing it up, Chuck.

cheers'
    Ernie :)

I think that the pure stupidness of UP derailing the SD70ACe's in Colorodo was bad (for EMD at least)

I know of crashes around here on the Housatonic where trains fall into the river or into ponds. That seems purdy bad.

A say the Chase MD Wreck between Amtrak and Conrail.

The Weyauwega, Wisconsin freight train deraiment is a good one that I can remember. Several tankers carrying (if I remember) propane derailed and one exploded and some of the others were leaking. No fatalaties but the town was evacuated for 19 days.
    John 3:16
    Locomotive Engineer
    Canadian Pacific Railway
    Portage, Wisconsin

What about the Amtrak crash of the Sunset Limited (I think) a few years ago where a barge hit a bridge on the Mobile River.

I think that was it but I'm not sure there

>I think that the pure stupidness of UP derailing the
    >SD70ACe's in Colorodo was bad (for EMD at least)

Errmmm... Yeah. Like they did that on purpose...

You think they were trying to ride wheelies or something?

Trains derail man. Often through no negligence of the operators.