Thread: Problem with Gmax

Default Problem with Gmax

Hello all,

If this post is at the wrong forum please place it on the right one!!

Ok. I got a huge problem with Gmax. The exporting to .s files doesn't come out the right way anymore.

I've started to create a dutch railway station (Rotterdam - Alexander), and started by creating the platforms.

Ok. This is what I did: I created 2 boxes, each 337 meters long, 5 meters wide, and 1 meter high.
    After this, I put it in a group (group01, just the default). The I opened the LOD manager, and added the group to it. LOD set on 1500, just one hirargy level, and both the node and priority on 1.

the I exported to .s
    Created a .sd
    Added an entry to the .ref
    Opened Route Editor
    selected and placed the object.... nothing.... just invisible...

Now this has happened to me before, and redoing the grouping and exporting should do... this time it doesn't.

Shape Viewer gives a total white screen, and in RE, you're just don't see anything...

Can somebody tell me what to do?? I don't know anymore...

There are no links, objectnames are box01 and box02.

probably 337 meters is too long??? tried 200 meters... even less... no luck...

please help, cause I want to build an use the station!!

Many thanks,

Regards,

René

Default RE: Problem with Gmax

Where is the origin? The object might be there, just not where you expect it.

Is the shape file large (a 's' file will be created even if there is no object in it)? You may not have selected the object before rying to export.

The object is just 5 meters away from the origin, at both sides of it.
    The shape file is 2,40 KB big, which is not much, but it only includes two boxes.... I checked it with SFM, and everything seems to be correct (Maybe check te LOD again....).

And I've selected the object/group before trying to export. I'm very sure, because it won't show up in the LOD manager when I don't... ;)

Any other suggestions???

Regards,

René

Did you apply texture(s) to the object? I'm not sure what happens if you don't have the object textured before exporting.

Another thing to check is the volumes (located at the top of the file).

volumes ( 2
    vol_sphere (
    vector ( [font color="blue"]-7.500389 0.05 12.49961[/font] ) [font color="red"]18.6[/font]
    )
    vol_sphere (
    vector ( -7.500389 0.05 12.49961 ) 18.6
    )
    )

The number in [font color="red"]red[/font] should be at least 1.1x(largest number in [font color="blue"]blue[/font]) if it is not larger already. This affects whether the object is displayed at various viewing angles. If it is too small (5 seems to be the smallest), you will not see your object at all.

I do exporting without textures quite often, and that's not the problem.

Actually, I found the problem a few minutes ago.
    The value of the "dlevel_distance" entry in the .s file was 0. That's everything but good! I changed it to 1500, and now the object is visible in RE. Shape Viewer still gives a white screen, but I can live with that. RE is the most important one!!

The problem now is: Why doesn't Gmax export the LOD distance the right way?? Why did it stop doing so. It worked for all other objects I created...
    Any suggestions??

Thanks for your help Steven!

Regards,

René

The "dlevel_distance" in the export tool defaults to zero. I'm not positive (at work right now) but if you have multiple LODs then each time you add a LOD it resets the previous ones to zero again.

Safest bet - check the LOD distance(s) just before exporting the shape.

It was just one LOD... it's quite crazy. I've exported many models with Gmax, and suddenly it goes wrong...

Well, I know how to fix it now... Can't do anything else, I suppose...

Thanks for your help Steven,

Regards,

René

Yeah, I always set them to 100,000 when I export. I had that problem on early exports of my first locomotive. ;)

Since it's the number of textures that REALLY affects framerates, and not polygons, LODs really have no point besides making what you're looking at look like vomit from a distance.

http://sgair.net/erick/SIGS/CP_BANNER.JPG

[font size=1]"The F59PHI and Genesis are the lamest excuses for locomotives Amtrak has ever operated - accept it and move on. Hug an F40 before it's too late!"[/font]