Thread: SDP40-F?

Default RE: SDP40-F?

Checkout http://www.f40phr231.org/. This is the site has info on BNSF 6976 - Amtrak 644

Chris
    [hr width="418" align="left"][table border="0" width="210"][tr][td align="center" align="middle"][blink]Visit->[/blink] [link:www.trainsimreviews.com/| [Link Expired]
    [/td][/tr]
    [tr][td rowspan][IMG SRC="http://home.triad.rr.com/tsr/img/tspic.gif"]
    [/td][/tr][/table]

I remember back in '01 before Buzz finished his F40PH we had to use the FP45 in Amtrak Phase III as a substitute for the F40. Whenever you start talking about subbing one loco for another, stuff like this pops up.

You can get away with subbing the FP45 for the SDP40F, but it's probably the nose that is throwing the overall look off. The SDPs had an almost SD70ACe-ish "cutout" near the front ladder, while the 45's didn't. Not sure about specs for length, but one may be longer than the other as well.

I'm actually surprised that an actual SDP40F hasn't been modeled yet.

Now that I think about it, the FP45 was repainted early on into "Bloody nose" paint to use as a quasi-SDP...interesting.

Blake, the SDP's as built did not have a cutout there. In fact, that's one thing that separated them from the F45/FP45...they didn't have a front walkway and proper stairs or stairwells.

The cutout-nose that you see above was one of a number of mods made to a group of 18 locos that were traded by Amtrak to Santa Fe for a group of SSB1200's and CF7's. The cutout was made and the walkway and stairwells were added so that the units could be used in frieght service. They were referred to as SDF40-2's in SF service.

Dan

Dan you beat me to it.I don't ever recall seeing the SDP40Fs with the modified nose.

Right, Amtrak SDPs did not have the cutout...but I was under the impression that the original poster was trying to recreate the photograph from the post, and not an Amtrak unit. Ergo, the FP45 in the library would look different because it didn't have the cutout.

I should have been more clear, but you guys are absolutely correct, before the trade those notches weren't there.

The FP45 in the library has the wrong contour on the nose to resemble anything. While it was awesome when it came out, the model is not up to par with current offerings. Hopefully Dick Cowen will come out with an F-45.

John

Default SDP40-F?

Where can I get some more inf on this strange loco? I've checked out some sites, but can't seem to find what I want. I would like to know whether it was closer to the FP45 or the SD40-2. It looks like a mix to me. What I'm trying to do is modify a FP45 from the Railroad Paintshop to make the BNSF-Maersk scheme SDP40-F. I've studied countless pics and made several drafts using a FP45, but they don't look as acurate as I want. So, can anyone help me?