Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey, Canadian Railfans!

Default Hey, Canadian Railfans!

This is a whimsical post with a serious point, so don't anyone get their feathers in a ruffle. Basically, I'm trying to figure out if either one, both, or neither of the two major Canadian railways is something I ought to have an interest in. In other words, I'm looking for someone to sell me (or at least try) on CN and/or CP. (I think this got started when I was reading something on the Empress of Ireland and realized that Canadian Pacific owned her; from there I went looking at MLT's KHP2 and remembered that once upon a time, I was close to buying it.)

Anyone's free to try, and who knows? You might just be responsible for getting me to download even more stuff for the game. Thanks in advance for any help.

Default RE: Hey, Canadian Railfans!

Getting sick of black, blue, yellow, and orange :P

Try bright red! hahaha

CPR runs through the most scenic spots in Canada. The Rocky Mountains, and the North Shore of Lake Superior through the oldest rock in the world, not to mention the most toughest to build the railway..

CPR has very friendly crew's, police, bosses and stuff. Lots of crew's are railfans too. Yuo can find them on railroad forums, and CPR groups.

Here are some shots from my area...the North Shore. For more shots visit my website... www.trainweb.org/cprnosa

CP 2816 crossing the Little Pic River trestle @ Neys
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...eys5052304.jpg
    CP 9680 coming through Marathon
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...072804edit.jpg
    CP 9531 @ Heron Bay west
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4..._119062204.jpg
    CP 9134 @ Kama Bay
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e071604087.jpg

And one good thing about CNR, the only big railway with a all DC rostor. And its a big rostor!

>This is a whimsical post with a serious point, so don't
    >anyone get their feathers in a ruffle. Basically, I'm trying
    >to figure out if either one, both, or neither of the two
    >major Canadian railways is something I ought to have an
    >interest in. In other words, I'm looking for someone to sell
    >me (or at least try) on CN and/or CP. (I think this
    >got started when I was reading something on the Empress
    >of Ireland
    and realized that Canadian Pacific owned her;
    >from there I went looking at MLT's KHP2 and remembered that
    >once upon a time, I was close to buying it.)
    >
    >Anyone's free to try, and who knows? You might just be
    >responsible for getting me to download even more
    >stuff for the game. Thanks in advance for any help.

CP also has some railroad feats such as the Spiral Tunnels and the Mt. McDonald Tunnel. (9.1 miles!!) I like the stunning scenery. And their roster has quite a few interesting and familar locomotives alike. You should look into reading some articles on CP... Especialy in BC. Also another Class 1 is BC Rail, speaking of BC. KHP2 is a great route, too. Also search Canadian National or Canadian Pacific on railpictures.net. You might be suprised at the results.

Wilco van Schoonhoven has terrific pictures as well as a "motive power" gallery. http://home.hetnet.nl/~canadianpacific/

In the tradition of J.P. Fishwick, the following criteria occurred to me as I was dozing off to bed:

1. Which line is the majority carrier for Nova Scotia and/or Atlantic Canada?
    2. Which line is the majority carrier for Alberta?

I'm looking for the 'hook' that'll snag my interest, and I'm kinda relying on the fans of the two to pitch their road, which is exactly what the two of you have done. BC Rail made the list a long time ago; I've had that quartet of Dash Nines for a while, and their boxcars show up in freights from time to time. I just have to find what I did with the M420s that got released, and I'll be in business.

Another metric I came up with (but ultimately rejected) was, "Which line would best serve to complete the Norfolk Southern transcontinental rail line?" :D

Alberta? CP and CN. Nova Scotia? Cape Breton and Central Nova Scotia (CB&CNS) and CN. CP goes from Motreal to A Vancouver suberb were stuff is unloaded.

Nova Scotia... prolly CNR

Alberta.. Prolly CPR, in Alberta CPR has raillines in Southern, Central, and almost Northern Alberta. Many trains orginate in Alberta. Intermodal, mixed, empty auto's, grain from the praries going westbound to the Port of Vancouver, coal, and sulpher. CN is also in Alberta, major in Edmonton with a huge yard, and then tracks coming down to Calgary to serve North America's most rapidly growing center.

In Alberta, the CNR's main runs through Edmonton (Walker yard, a small hump yard), it's main centre and westward through the rockies toward Vancouver B.C. There is a secondary main track branching off at Jasper, Alberta, heading toward Prince Rupert, B.C., also on the coast. Calgary is predominately CPR country. CN has a small yard (Sarcee) there, but few trains, and only one doublestack (115/114). Khp 2 is a well done route, and worth the price at 19.95 US. As far as "selling it" to you, it is really up to you. The railways up here are up to date, and if you like LONG trains try CN. Most CN trains nowadays are over 8000 feet, and many in the 10000-12000 ft. range. The "look" of the railways is about the same as you'd see on any class one in the USA, but if you want a change of scenery, give it a try. As you know, Maple Leaf Tracks has the KHP2 route out (CPR), and will be bringing out the Bayview Route (CNR Dundas Sub) later this year.

cheers,
    Ernie :)

R: your second metric

If memory serves, CP has an interhange with the NS, across the border in Buffalo, New York. Or at least, did have, at one time.

I have spent many happy hours watching and videoing CPR between Banff and Vancouver during holidays [vacation in Canada speak ?] over the last 15 years. My favourite spots are Storm Mountain Lookout between Lake Louise and Banff, Field and Salmon Arm.

I have KHP1 and am waiting to leapfrog KHP2 to MLT's new CP route from Banff to Revelstoke.

I would recommend MLT's KHP routes, but I am also building up a fleet of BC Rail locos and cars and run them temporarily on the PRRR Hoodoo Pass Route. I am currently repainting C425 and C630 locos for BC Rail.

At the end of the day, the choice(s) are down to you, but hopefully the responses on this thread will help.

Eric in UK

Or if you were looking into somthing with a NS connection, MLT did the Bridge Line and both CP and NS use that line nowadays. :D

I agree though. Canadian railroading can be funner than US stuff. CP shots from Kicking Horse Pass always find a way onto my desktop :-)