Thread: Asking for puter help !!!

Default Asking for puter help !!!

I'm asking those who know alot more about windows xp pro than me for help. Seems like i got a "nasty" in my puter. I have ran all my adware and spyware removers and i still got an explorer home page screen that comes up from http://search200.com/. I have changed internet explorer home page to MSN.com (my prefered browser home page) and on every exit and recall that darn site takes over again. Has anyone else ran into this problem and could suggest a cure. Any help would be grateful and thanks in advance. If you like you could e-mail me at [email protected] if prefered . Just title e-mail as "start up help" cause i usually delete email from unfamiliar sources . Thanks again
    Brian Hickey

Default RE: Asking for puter help !!!

What version of ad-aware have you got?
    Is it updated to the latest?
    What other spyware removers?
    Have you looked in add/remove programs to remove search200?

Cheers
    Derek

I have ad-aware version6 updated every time i run it. I also have spyware doctor for spyware --- and run full scan on both when used. Search200 is nowhere to be found in my add remove programs list. Thanks for your suggestions but " been there --- done that --- and got the tee shirt " ----- thats why i'm stuck --- lol

Have you went into the IE tools option and changed your start page?

Adaware SE build 1.03 has been released.

I would also give CWShredder a try. You can download it [link:www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/|here.]

Download and install the newest version of Spybot Search & Destroy and give that a whirl. Also, you can go to http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan/ and use the "activescan" to search and destroy many nasties as well. I will warn you however using Spybot incorrectly can cause your PC to be F.U.B.A.R. so watch the options carefully and choose the newbie easy settings and not the advanced.

Good luck,

SeanK97

You've got a homepage hijacker.
    There are a few ways to delete this:

1) manually. In your C:\program files\ directory is a map with all the data for this homepage in it. You'll have to delete this, and delete all the entry's regarding to these files in the registery.
    Do a google search, you'll find some pages which can tell you how and what to delete.

2) By a piece of software. Programs like ad-aware don't reconise a homepage hijacker. I would recommend a program called "browser sentinel". It keeps track of all the BHQ's, autorunservices and so on. You can download a trial on this page. Somewhere on the internet there's also a crack, which makes a non-limited version of it.... ;)

Regards,

René

>I have ad-aware version6

Thats not the latest, see heffed's post

Cheers
    Derek