Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "Surfliner" F59PHIs

USRailFan Guest

Default The "Surfliner" F59PHIs

According to the article about Pacific Surfliner/Amtrak California in the August TRAINS, the "Surfliner" F59PHIs were delivered in 1998, but the carriages weren't delivered until 2000-2001 - what were the F59PHIs used for the first two years?

Default RE: The "Surfliner" F59PHIs

Im pretty sure they used either lowlevels or superliner for those 3 years.
    - Nick K.

Horizon sets and ex-Metroliner cab cars. Some trains might have had Superliners.

>Mike Forster<
    Perth, Western Australia

[email protected]
    [Link Expired]

http://www.trainweb.org/aussiepix

USRailFan Guest

Hmm..
    An F59PHI hauling Horizons cars? That must've looked damn strange...

Default RE: The

IIRC, when Amtrak shot their Surfliner TV commercial, they used Superliners painted to look like the as yet to be delivered Surfliner cars. I don't believe these "mock ups" were used in service, however. :)

Cheers!
    Marc - 3DTrains
    http://www.3dtrains.com

[link:www.3dtrains.com/products/index.shtml|http://www.3dtrains.com/images/pro_funit_atsfmain.jpg]

Pro Series SuperPacks
    Cheers!
    Marc - 3DTrains - Home of the Feather River and Sherman Hill routes for MSTS

Signature

They still do it. There is a low-level set in service during peak times with 7-8 horizon coaches and a cafe car, sometimes an Amfleet custom class coach and/or full dome car, with an F59PHI on each end.

[font color="#3366FF"]Tim Frost[font size="-2"]
    [a href="http://www.union-atlantic.com/forum/index.php?showforum=12"]http://home.comcast.net/~nvta/gif/sigimgtrn02.gif[/a]

>Hmm..
    >An F59PHI hauling Horizons cars? That must've looked damn
    >strange...

Typical for the fall/winter months in Seattle is a 10-15 car Horizon Trainset pulled by a P42, F59 or P32 combo. Since the Full Dome is now claimed by Gunn, looks like we won't be having it for the rest of the Alki Tours trips. Ah well.

It does look a tad odd though... F59s tower over the Horizons.. then again, they towered over the Talgo 200 sets as well.
    Brian Bundridge
    TrainSim.com Moderator

>According to the article about Pacific Surfliner/Amtrak
    >California in the August TRAINS, the "Surfliner" F59PHIs
    >were delivered in 1998, but the carriages weren't delivered
    >until 2000-2001 - what were the F59PHIs used for the first
    >two years?

TRAINS has it wrong. If you look at the builder's plates on each and every one of the Surfliner F59PHI's (450-464) and the Cascades units (465-470), they were BUILT in 1999....so I don't see how they could have been delivered in 1998!

Anyhow, the first couple years, they hauled the older Amfleet/Horizon cars around that were the mainstay of the Los Angeles-San Diego line.

>Hmm..
    >An F59PHI hauling Horizons cars? That must've looked damn
    >strange...

Nope, doesn't look strange at all. We've been used to it since 1999 here on the Surf Line. There is still one Horizon trainset used in the busy season (i.e. summer and around the Thanksgiving / Christmas / Spring Break holiday times). It passes my residence usually two or three times a day depending on which rotation it works. Only problem with the current setis that two of the eight cars are in the Phase III striping, the rest are Phase IV, so the train looks like crap being mis-matched.

I'd have to agree that they looked weird hauling the lower level cars but I got used to it.

The paint schemes back then were all over the place too. Surfliner F59's, Phase III Amfleets and Horizons, some phase IV Horizons, a phase IV full dome, plus there was one trainset of California Cars! Certainly a transition period on the San Diegan until the new double decker cars finally (it sure seemed to take a while to get enough trainsets out here) arrived.

Should also add *(oops looks like Tim has already mentioned this)* that most of the time two F59's were used. One on each end of the train. It seems the old classic cab cars (think they were actually old Metroliners!!!) were quickly retired.
    Matt
    Click Here for photos of my train layouts