Thread: Stalled locomotive engine

Default Stalled locomotive engine

How is it possible to stall a locomotives engine? The engine on a locomotive I saw stalled and I saw someone go back to the engine compartment and restart it. What could have happened?
    Bob

Default RE: Stalled locomotive engine

The prime mover in a locomotive is just a big diesel engine. It works like a semi-truck or tractor engine, just on a larger scale. Deprivation of any of the key ingredients to combustion, generally air, will cause it to die. With microprocessor control, computer glitches are sometimes the culprit, but it seems that the systems are getting to be more reliable.

From your description, it sounds like the crew member went back to the engine compartment to take a look at a sight glass (water, oil...) before restarting. Perhaps the computer sensed low oil pressure and shut the locomotive down as a safety precaution. There are hundreds (or thousands) of possibilities, but it boils down to the same things that would cripple your car.

It could have been overloaded (alltho I think that it would have killed the traction motors first)

:D

I had an intersting thing happen to me along that line.
    I was doing some loco training in an old gp7 and that trainer leant back on the switch panel and knocked the fuel pump switch off.

When the engine stopped the fireman jumped out and opened some panels and yelled back that we had run out of fuel.

I checked the fuel breaker just in case it had dropped out and it was in the off position, reset to on and restarted the engine.
    We continued on our way having a little chuckle.

Cheers
    Derek