Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ABCNews.com----Terror Trains??

Default ABCNews.com----Terror Trains??

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/WNT/U...s040908-1.html

I understand perfectly the need to be vigilant post-9/11, but my first thought seeing this headline was "Oh, fer cryin' out loud...." My favorite part is when they mention "banning or restricting" movement of certain chemicals....wonder what those same people would say if the segments of the economy that depended on efficient movement of those chemicals started suffering as a result of not getting their raw materials in a timely manner?

Default RE: ABCNews.com----Terror Trains??

We'd be letting the terrorists win, our economy would be doomed. And obviously if anyone saw a nut with a armfull of C-4 frantically dashing towards a chem car, the'd do the american thing.

I find it especially interesting that all the scary quotes come from "security consultants".....you don't suppose they'd have a vested interest in spreading as much FUD as possible about trains, do you? And ABCNews acting like they made this shocking discovery----"Why, just two weeks ago, we watched a train of chemical tank cars sit outside our window!!!!" <gasp> OMG, it's Special Investigative Report time, there are FREIGHT TRAINS outside our door (film at 11)!!!!!!!!! The DC councilwoman's quote is good for a laugh too--"This is a no-brainer. There is no need for these cars to be coming through our city." Yeah, right on, what she said----I mean dagnabit, we can't have all of this COMMERCE passing through here, someone's got to do something about this!

Hahaha, exactly, just publicising off anything scary and attention grabbing. And what is it for, Ratings. Plus all there doing now is Giving terrorists Ideas (don't think the avarage terrorist would know this anyway, would probably bomb a molasses car for all he knows)

Be afraid, be afraid, don't live your life, don't stand up for your rights, and donít enjoy your freedom. Then you're "safe"

[Link Expired]

Okay, I've figured it out.....I'm going to become a security consultant myself. By my reckoning, a terrorist anywhere in the US could take just 5 seconds to strap some plastic explosive and a simple detonator to a dog (especially those annoying little yippy ones) and set them loose on poor unsuspecting suburbanites!!! And worse, there are dogs all over the place! Why, just the other week there was one that sat outside my window for a full 45 minutes! I mean, it would have taken someone just seconds to strap a brick of C4 to little Fido and then oh, the horror!! We must take immediate additional steps to ban or reduce the movement of household pets! Leash laws are not enough, people!!! Oh yeah, and ban photography of them too--them terrorists are crafty when it comes to scoping out targets that way.

And somehow trucks are any safer???

Why doesn't the US ban them from city centers too?

How about panel/cargo vans? If I'm not mistaken, one was used in the Oaklahoma City bombing...

:rolleyes:

It's stories like this that make me want to kick anyone associated with the media in the nuts. Repeatedly. How's that for a story?

Dan

>And somehow trucks are any safer???
    >
    I STRONGLY agree with you there. Truck stops could be prime for that. On the PA turnpike alone I saw truck stops that had tank trucks, the sames one where still there at least 45 min later when I was on the way back. These people need to understand that chances are something in those rail tank cars is probably making their life easier or more enjoyable, why cant people ever look at the good side of things???

Just my .02

Just the reason I wished I could be abducted by aliens...

/Jonatan

It wouldn't that easy for them to attack a train. The movement of freight is very unpredictable, and chemicals are rarely shipped in one train, but rather in freight trains with other cargo. All tank cars have specific construction requirements for the type of chemical they were built to ship. They are built to withstand derailments, leaks, and explosions. Many of them have 1/4 inch steel along with an extra pyrex glass lining inside to protect them. It would take quite an explosion to set one off.

There was a bill at some point that would allow communities to ban trains and trucks from carrying chemicals through them. But it would have caused expensive reroutings. There would be no way for these products to be shipped. Guess what happened to the bill?

It died!

I think railroads still have enough clout to take care of this one.