Thread: Hurricane damage to railroads.

Default Hurricane damage to railroads.

Has there been much damage to railroads in Florida from Charile and Francis? tracks washed out or flooded?

Default RE: Hurricane damage to railroads.

i heard talk on the scanner that the NS (ex-EL) southern tier line had problems with flooding in the canisteo river valley between hornell and gang mills, and also around silver springs ny...

Tim Baldwin
    Buffalo NY

Milepost 5 on the Buffalo Belt Line
    CSX - NS - CP - CN
    Tim Baldwin
    Buffalo New York
    Milepost 5 on the Buffalo Belt Line
    CSX - NS - CN - CP

I live in the Delray Beach/West Palm Beach area, hit hard by Frances. I haven't seen any track/bed damage locally, however the newspaper a few days ago reported that FEC had 200 signals down (not operational) on the route.

Tons of trains coming south, loaded with building materials. I got held up by one the other day. I counted 247 cars. It had to be three miles long, all containers and truck trailers.

NC and SC have had there share of washouts as well. I believe the NS "S" Line from Asheville-Salsisbury NC was closed for a time. The CSX S Line also had a washout just south of Hamlet NC in the small town of Wallace but was only out of service for a short time. Im sure there were many others as well but those are the main 2 I remember hearing about. Posted is a link to pics I found of the flooding around Asheville NC on NS tracks.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/arc...s.aspx?id=1593

The Seminole Gulf Railroad was down for almost 2 weeks. (http://www.semgulf.com/) They are a short line that runs from North Naples to Arcadia, Fla. Charlie devastated the north end of the line. I don't know about track damage, but downed trees were a major problem. They hired several crains and crews in addition to their own equiptment to clear the tracks. I don't think their excursion trains are running yet (recreation and entertainment is a low priority right now!). They had several hopper cars blown off thier trucks in Arcadia. Not really a suprise when you can see cement block buildings blown to rubble and blue tarps covering almost every roof! As for me in North Fort Myers, I only lost a garage door and I still have a job. I'm one of the lucky ones!

247 cars!!! Holy #$%@. I can hear the detector now - "...axel count 1,088"! Seriously though, best wishes and prayers to all you guys down there.

On NS:

Ronoake Hit Hard
    Greenville Hit Hard
    Chattonoga Hit Hard
    Atlanta Hit Hard
    Asheville Hit Hard

For the past couple days the entire Charlotte Division from Charlotte, NC to Atlanta, GA was shut down. It reopened last night.

The S-Line from Salisbury, NC to Chattonoga, TN is shut down again with multiple wash outs and a couple feet of water standing in the Asheville Yard.

I'm not sure how the Rat Hole took it would I would quess they are running limited schedule or none at all.

Adam

Yeah, we had some problems but not really that bad, we held alot of cars in Atlanta before Charlie hit. I think we had about 12,000 ft of Jacksonville Auto racks alone then after the track was open they ran them south, don't know how many pigs we had but lots of those too. The latest closed the yard at New Orleans for a day. Flooded the yard in Birmingham for a while, shut down humping in Chattanooga for a few hours. Had some washouts on several lines and some closed due to high water but not for more than about 24 hours. NS had lots of Ballast trains and trucks ready for this as we had lots of advance notice.