Thread: Little thing I got in an Email today

Default RE: Little thing I got in an Email today

Old news, I believe it has been brought up here before.

Oh my god! What a coincedence. I hope no one was injured.
    - Nick K.

Yea I dont know. The subject just was "Kansas Rail Accedent"

I live in Ellis along that line
    see coal all the time and one
    auto rack.

The coal load gremlins must be out in force. Tonight an eastbound BN coal train had something go wrong with a wheel... not sure exactly at this point if it broke, had a bad flat spot or just what. A citizen at a crossing reported the car was throwing sparks near Greenwood, NE, and about 6 miles later the crew felt some jerks and stopped the train in Ashland. The problem car has one set of wheels off the track, but no 'major' derailment.
    A major headache is that the train stopped across the east leg of the Ashland wye where the Creston, Omaha, and Sioux City subs all merge, making it impossible for Creston <-> Sioux traffic to get through. This is the same area where earlier this year several loaded coal cars derailed causing some major damage.
    The nightly put-em-in-the-hole-hurry-up-and-wait parade around Havelock should be a little more intense tonight.

USRailFan Guest

ouch!

I belive this happened almost a year ago. Its been covered here a few times already and at just about every other train site at nausea. Although, the story just gets better and better.

Default Little thing I got in an Email today

Read on:

For those who believe nothing exciting ever happens in Kansas, except tornados and explosions, check this out...
    The Good news:

It was a normal day in Sharon Springs, KS when a Union Pacific crew boarded a loaded coal train to head on the long trek back to Salina.

The Bad news:

Just a few miles into the trip a wheel bearing becomes overheated and melts off letting the truck support drop down and grind on top of the rail creating white hot molten metal droppings to spew downward on the rail.

The Good news:
    A very alert crew noticed a small amount of smoke about halfway back in the train and immediately stopped the train in compliance with the rules.

The Bad news:

The train just happened to stop with the hot wheel on top of a wooden bridge built with creosote ties and trusses.

See attachments.

I don't know when this happened. If anyone has anymore info could you please post it here.