Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Railfanning the Cascade Sub

Default Railfanning the Cascade Sub

My wife and I are leaving for 10 days in southern Oregon on Sunday. I'm going to be able to sneak away for 2 days to railfan the Cascade Sub. I was planning on primarily being in the Cascade Summit to Oakridge area. Any suggestions, tips, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

pointroberts Guest

Default RE: Railfanning the Cascade Sub

You mean besides dress warm and take LOTS of pics?

Some good info at:

http://spcascades.railfan.net/
    http://webpages.charter.net/upcascad...b%20Photos.htm

Looking forward to hearing about the trip... I just got CC and it's becoming my favorite route!

Yeah, I'm hoping the weather cooperates. It seems to have been off and on schattered showers for the past week or so. What I'm looking for, as this will be my first visit, is any tips on railfanning and photo spots, etc. I've got an old Trains magazine issue from 1996, that references some Forest Service roads to get to some of the off-the-highway spots. I'll be renting a 4wd SUV, so hopefully (again, weather permitting), that won't be an issue. I'm hoping to be able to get back to the areas around Frazier and Cruzatte.

Hey Curt, just get yourself a good map. I know that at stores like Borders, they have these big state atlases. Can't remember who makes them, but they are in a red cover, you can't miss them. I bought one for southern Ca. back in the days when I drove semis to help us get around as we were often delivering or picking up in SoCa. In any event, I have found these atlases to be very helpful as they have all the roads listed in great detail. They run about $20, but well worth it. Have fun on your trip.

Curt get yourself a Gazetteer map for Oregon.There 19.95 and available even at truck stops or most places even gas stations have them.Thats I think the name Chris was trying to find.Perfect for anything.The Montana one saved me 40 miles but it was going down logging roads.

Just Rollin Down The Tracks
    http://www3.telus.net/apickell//squamishsub.jpg
    Dale
    Work Safe play hard

Yeah, thats the one. That will help you out a lot while your up there.

Picked one up today. Looks pretty cool; thanx for the suggestion.

Hey, Chris and Shane! Made it safely to OR. Using the hotel's free internet service. Flew in yesterday, dropping down over the yard in Eugene; caught a couple of nb's from my plane window. Have been checking out the CORP line through Medford-Ashland, nothing to report yet. The weathers great; really a beautiful area. Leaving for Oakridge early, early Friday morning. Wish me luck!

Glad you made it safely. We'll keep our fingers crossed on the weather. Get some nice footage and make us proud.

Hey Curt, Glad you could make it up there safe and sound :D, hope you have a good time up there and good luck with the trains/weather

Shane