Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: the care and feeding of the newbies

Default RE: the care and feeding of the newbies

It is indeed dissapointing to view the state of the forums to date and I'm glad these are being brought up! I know yes I did start somewhat of a personal fake virtual railway, it was a "just for fun" project and shared it once with everyone. As of now I just sit back in the sidelines and take in the information that seems legit and admire the occational new developments that have significant meaning. For the most part now it's been over a year since I've really been contributing to the board, lost my last username in the forum crash a while ago and just haven't been posting since. It's nice to be able to come here and actually have well thought out conversations, share knowledge and insightful storys with other members. Hey it's what the board is here for! I'll be keeping in mind all of whats been said and I urge that anyone who hopefully took the time to read this will too.

NW 1218 Guest

Alright, i'll throw in my double pennies. I've been here for about three years now. Things were a lot different back in 2002. We had the good times and the bad times. Now, all it seems like is we have absolutely nothing but horrible times. People, heed what everyone has been saying here. It's all true. Yes, at one point or another, we were all to blame for some kind of problem or trouble, but hey, no one is perfect.

About this spelling thing. Ya'll need to learn how to put together your thoughts. I don't know, jot them down before you post them or something. Just remember this: Each sentence begins with the first word being capitalized. Also, there is a period at the end of each complete thought. Maybe that will help some of you.

The constant postings in the reskinning forum on "Oh, look what I did! I patched this!" or "Check this out!" and it never gets released. Do us all a favor. Don't announce the piece of material until you are sure that you are going to release it. It gets so irritating to see posts that go to a complete waste, because the unit or car never gets released. Also, don't post unless you have to or it is called for. Posting just to get a post is absolutely stupid.

The copyright issue, well, I don't really have to go there. Don't put your name on someone else's work. Always read the "readme" for instructions on how to re-release something you want to release. Permission is always a good thing.

About these flames. Ya, I flame. Is it called for? I have my own opinion, which I won't impress all of you, but no, it isn't. There is no need to sit here and bicker over the SMALLEST, MOST MINISCULE things! Give me a break! I love constructive critisism, but there is a fine line between that and a flame. Also, if you feel the need to be a complete jerk-off and keep resurfacing the same war over and over again with someone, everytime that person posts, go away. Do something better. That, in my book, makes you a stalker.

I'm going to put this plain and simple: Things used to be so much better around here. People please, can we just get back to the way it was? I don't see what's so hard about this. It would simply behoov some of you to just take a chill pill, sit back, relax, and enjoy train simulator, instead of causing problems.

I think its time to actually act on the punishments. No more locking/deleting of threads and pretending it didn't happen. Bans need be enacted on certain people here and warnings need to be put into place. I think our newest mod is as close as we've gotten to someone who's willing to do this but still enough isn't being done. I actively participate in a handfull of other forums and I can guarantee none of this crap would be tolerated as long as it has been on here.

Start the warnings now, follow with the bannings if needed. Its the only way this stuff is going to stop. It has gotten to the point where people are being threatened, foul language is standard and racism/pointless political pissing contests are going on in the yard.

This is a Train forum guys... come on.

Canberra, Australian Capital T, Australia.

I agree. We need to start dishing out punishments. This is not a place for egos...

Brevity is one aspect. If you can say in one short sentence and avoid using one or more long sentence, then surely the short sentence has to be preferred...

I am getting at the "chat room style" posts that hardly have any meaning at all or even worse only contain incomplete sentences or fragments.
    Cheers,
    Sebastian

I think the message is now clear enough.

Flaming is not and will not be tolerated.

Unnecessary posting in threads will be curbed.

Threads in the Engine and Livery Skinning section will be merged, condensed or deleted.

Rude language or personal attacks will result in warnings, and if required, banning.

Pretty much everyone who frequents this forum is a good guy (or gal), and many of the incidents here are rooted in how someone reacts to a certain post. Let the Moderators do the reacting; that's what we're here for. There's no need for pointless replies, rebuttals and rants sullying what is an informative community forum.

The reason for locking this thread is that I frankly don't believe we need to keep on listing things which should be obvious to all.

Can we all just learn to get along?

So please, you see something out of whack, just alert the Mods.

Cheers,

Harley

P.S. Should anyone really feel that this thread needs reopening, PM me about it.