Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: the care and feeding of the newbies

Default RE: the care and feeding of the newbies

Ive been in a couple "wars" in the past two days. One I was just saying something stupid because im sick of a certain member. But ive also tried to tell them what to do , and try to help. Not always in the polite manner, but i do try. I do agree , the spelling issue is a big deal once in a while. Words like because=cuz isnt a big deal, but when they just dis-mantle it so badly you cant even tell what they are saying is when it gets annoying. Many of the members, we dont need to name names as its more than obvious, dont "get it" ever! But only time will tell.............

Alec

Paul,

I was going to highlight a remark in your post and comment on it. But the more I read, the more I realized that I would have to highlight your entire message.

I concur completely.

Have a sparkling day,
    Bob
    Have a sparkling day,
    Bob

[SIGPIC]https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic56455_1.gif/[SIGPIC]

kevarc Guest

"I can't say I've come across any "Pseudo-Companies" so i wouldn't know."

Just take a stroll through the skinning forum, they are there. None has an orignal scheme or non-hideous colors.

Spelling isn't so important; it's only when content is messed up due to mis-spelling that questions ought to arise. Dyslexia is prevalent everywhere, so unless you want everyone to declare whether they're dyslexic, it's something that has to be lived with.

Ah, yes it is. If you planning to be more than a ditch digger for the rest of your life it is very important. A bigger problem is grammer. It is amazingly BAD. I had kids working for me in New Orleans that never finished school that had better grammer than most of these kids. If they ever want to succeed in life, they better start learning to form thoughts into coherent sentences, paragraphs, and written documents, not the chat room garbage that shows up here.

And then you have the butt kissers. Go to the skinners forum and look. There is more than one in there that every post is oh good, looks great, etc. No matter how crappy the skin is, there they are. What a joke.

Canberra, Australian Capital T, Australia.

I have to agree wit you on the grammar point there, but in defence of the butt kissers, the response "Looks like sh*t. Delete it and start over," (which I have considered posting before) would cause some serious flame wars.
    All in all though, I have to agree with everything else that has been posted here.

Thanks for clarifying this, Kevin!

I too think that spelling and grammar is very important! To be able to properly express what you want to say in both writing and speech is a virtue that is rapidly fading these days! I heard of many a guy and girl that got dismissed from their job due to lack of proper spelling and grammar! In a forum, where you know people mostly by what they put down in writing, it is basically your face. People are going to measure you according to the way you write and express yourself.

You are right, it does not matter, if you are sometimes lazy and make a "cuz" instead of "because" or if you sometimes leave out the "'" letter (cant instead of can't); I do that myself sometimes.

However there are posts in quite a lot of threads that are hardly legible due to bad spellying and grammar.
    Cheers,
    Sebastian

This is insane: I have to agree with Kevin's statement, and even more bizarre is that in my private library of Grammar/usage/style books (I have sixty), they all agree that brevity is a much needed requisite: sentences that are Short, Sharp, and succinct , and which punch through to their target in expressing thoughts is considered a paradigm in good writing.

Mike :o

I ain't kissin no butts here

I also agree this flaming has to stop or be taken off the fourms in pm mode.Pm me if you want to know more about what i think of this. i care not to discuss this on the fourm
    Todd
    Perry Sub 1% done

Sorry to hear that, you miss out on participating in a constructive dialogue.

i do not care to be part of the flames. if someone names me in a flame then its "personal"
    Todd
    Perry Sub 1% done

:+

All of the things that have been brought up about grammer and composition etc. are very important in the real world boys and girls.If you fail to use them here you will forget to use them elsewhere and will look like a moron to all. Telling someone that something looks or works like a piece of crap is not constructive even if that is the most apt description. Telling that person that the paint needs work or the wheels could be rounder etc. and pointing them to a method or person that might help is the way to go. Also praising a piece of crap is of no benefit to any except those with ego and other mental health issues. If a few rude words are slung at you here and it becomes so hurtfull that you have to react with stupidity you really need some help because you just aern't ready for life and it will eat you alive!

CH3NO2.
    Let the Good Times Roll
    Jeff