Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL SIM COMPARISON THREAD

Default RE: OFFICIAL SIM COMPARISON THREAD

Thanks Harley, this pin is a great idea!

From what little experience I've had with Trainz at a friends place, I found it to be too much like a model railroad. As pointed out it's way too hardware dependant as I could never run it on my system.
    As cool as it was to have interactive objects, I found them to be regenerative too quick (turnover was almost instant). Don't get me wrong I like the idea of interactive objects, but to me pushing an emptry train up a spur to have it fill up with goods in minutes not hours or days is too much (perhaps there is a parmater to slow this down I'm not aware of). Running the train seemed once again too much like a model railroad (I do enjoy model railroading too, but thats not what I want on my pc).

The good side from what I've seen is ease of constructing routes. I was also very impressed with the signal systems, and found the interaction with different AI trains, doing different tasks on their own quite interesting.

Still despite it's goods, I think the negatives keep me away and are hence why I haven't upgraded to run it. As buggy as MSTS is there is still alot of work arounds, and tolerance built in to make it an enjoyable experience.

Thanks

Sean

Default Deleted message

No message

Default Deleted message

No message

<Whistles> Come on ladies, take the trash talk elsewhere! Why do you think we have a BVE forum :+?!

We already have a TMTS subsection of the forum, the Trainz section isn't exactly bustling, and for obvious reasons KRS hasn't acheived a great following yet due to its geographical imbalance. So I don't think we really need any more subsections for the time being.

In the mean time, let's have some comparisons please. Or rather, let's not have any untoward forum discussion!

Harley

Although I've never played with Trainz in any of it's forms, the unnatural lighting and colors in the screenshots just drives me up a wall. In MSTS you can very realisitic screenshots using newer equipment and scenery, particularly the phototextured models. But a phototextured model in Trainz looks really out of place.

Default OFFICIAL SIM COMPARISON THREAD

In the next year or so we will be inundated with Train Simulators. We already have our beloved MSTS, Trainz, TRS2004 and TRS2006. In the near future we will have TMTS and KRS, and hopefully one day TATS. EDIT: There are also the night little Japanese PS2/PSP route sims out there, as well as the Zug sim mentioned below.

This thread is here for those posting or seeking comparisons.

It will not be locked, and should interest in it be strong enough I might ask the other mods that it be pinned.

I for one am interested in all simulators, and would like to know the pros and cons of all them placed in one easy to read thread.

The General Section of this forum, being non-specific to any train simulator, is the best place for this thread to be, and I for one will never lock this thread.

However, if people start throwing insults at simulators or at each other, then their posts will be deleted, possibly without warning.

Let the comparing begin!

Harley

>the Trainz
    >section isn't exactly bustling>

The obvious reason for that is all the Trainz people are at the Trainz Forum at Auran's site.

It's interesting to hear why people don't like Trainz. These are the same reasons others DO like Trainz. That's why there are different sims, and I'm all for it. It's good to lay out the comparisons as long as people don't get emotional or defensive about it. I'm laying out some of the differences at my V-Scaler site (http://www.vscaler.com). It's intended primarily for newcomers and those who haven't made the decision to jump in.

Al

---------------------
    Alfred Barten, Editor
    Virtual Railroader
    http://www.virtualrailroader.com/VR_sig.jpg

I've never tried Trainz, have used MSTS since 2002. It sounds like each has advantages over the other in one aspect or another.

To me, the most important thing is realistic operation and train handling. For those who tried both, which software is better in this respect?

Another important thing for me is availability of extra routes, equipment, etc. Is seems MSTS has much more available. But since it's basically been "abandoned" by MS, what will we see for the future?

Eye candy is nice, but not the most important aspect to me.

HEY, YOU DELETED MY POST!!!!
    (gripe moan complain whine temper-tantrum)
    WAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

Well, alright, if you'r gonna be like that, I can stay on topic and still stir up trouble. }(

PI Engineering TMTS versus KUJU railsim - who's YOUR money on?

Forget MSTS and Trainz, ancient history. Place your bets on the upcoming sims.

KUJU Rail Simulator - haven't seen much of anything that really tells us what it will be like, so the only thing we have to go on is the cancelled MSTS 2. The propaganda I saw on that looked like they were focussing on populating the train platforms, with people getting on and off trains, plus more car and truck traffic. "People and vehicles milling about smartly simulator", and oh yeah, it has trains too provided there are enough framerates to spare for the trains. Somebody from this forum talked to the KUJU guys who were demoing MSTS 2 at an E3 convention a couple years ago, and the KUJU guys were under the delusion that the infamous patch had fixed the front coupler perfectly, and there were no further complaints about it. x( So you can probably forget realistic freight and switching activities for KRS.

Assigning full blame to KUJU for all the MSTS bugs is fairly common, but whose name is on the box? Microsoft couldn't give a crap about reputation, and all our complaints to Microsoft have as much effect as a fart in a hurricane, but Electronic Arts may be a different story. If EA is the publisher they're going to care more about their rep, so any bugs that KUJU programs in would be more likely to be fixed before release, and EA would also be more likely to respond to user complaints by issuing patches that actually fixed the bugs.

PI Engineering Trainmaster Train Simulator - Haven't heard whether they're getting a publisher or doing it all themselves, but the screenshots and movie clips show that they're focussing more on operations than fluff, and the guys involved KNOW railroading. My money is on TMTS to have more realistic physics, and be much more sophisticated than just driving passenger trains from one station to the next. The editors and tools should also be more user friendly, guys like Tim Court know what the problems are with the MSTS route editor from firsthand experience, and most of the team has been involved here or at UKtrainsim. Many of the PIE guys have created addons for MSTS, and responded to problems with assistance and patches when necessary. Usually it hasn't been necessary. I think TMTS, if it has bugs, will have fixes out much faster - look at the service and support for Raildriver, that's their reputation.

Train Artisan, I dunno, haven't heard anything from them in a while.

So place your bets, which do you think will be the best, and why?

I'm with you on that one Sniper.

What I see is community and support shown by Tim. I'm also with others in saying more detail on gameplay over eye candy. Still I think TMTS will give plenty of both. The others have not shown as of yet, but I won't count them out either incase they do surprise.

Thanks

Sean