Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL SIM COMPARISON THREAD

Default RE: OFFICIAL SIM COMPARISON THREAD

Yeah, I like the odds on TMTS better, but I don't count KUJU out entirely. Microsoft took a vow of silence somewhere around DOS 5.0 and stopped communicating with their customers, so we have no idea what went down between KUJU and Microsoft before and after the release of MSTS 1.

I count four places where the name "Microsoft" appears on that box, I don't see the name "KUJU" anywhere on it. Regardless of who actually wrote the program, who do you hold responsible for patching? Teamed up with Electronic Arts instead of microsux, it's entirely possible KUJU may do a much better job this time.

Where Standard Gauge is 3 feet between the rails.

Well, first, I don't think it's fair to compare MSTS and Trainz, both are more different than alike. MSTS is a railroad sim, Trainz is a model railroad sim, and the trains tend to look like model trains. That said, I have both.

TMTS: That's the one I'm waiting for! A train sim by train simmers for train simmers.

Kuju: They've already said they're not doing any North American Routes, so why bother? Someone will undoubtably do some NA stuff for it, but if TMTS comes out first and better, why bother?

TrainArtisan: On the slim chance, very slim chance, they actually come out with something, they'll probably release it and disappear for a year or so. Seems to be their pattern overall.

???: Who knows what else might come out? Seriously, Train simming is probably more of a niche than Flight simming, is anyone going to be able to make enough money on it to keep coming out with a new version every couple of years? Or has software met it's pinnacle and along with hardware, we won't need to continuously upgrade? We can only hope...

Robert

Thanks Robert. That's the consensus I'm getting, that MSTS is more realistic from an operating standpoint. And you've heard it from me before- operation and train handling is the most important part of it.

From what I see, I'll probably buy TMTS rather than the Kuju one, for reasons already mentioned.

Where Standard Gauge is 3 feet between the rails.

I can certainly understand why someone would prefer Trainz over MSTS or MSTS over Trainz, the same as I can understand why some people prefer cake over pie. Point is, both can be had for next to nothing these days, might as well take advantage while we can!

Robert

Hi guys...

Just my 0.02c (which given the current US Vs Aust currency conversion is worth roughly one piece of navel lint :) ) re TrainArtisan. I found it interesting that Tim Court announced recently that the second route for TMTS is Altoona and Horseshoe Curve, the same piece of line that TA were providing models etc for for the defunct TSII in the same time period (steam / Deseasel transition). Wondering whether TA are now colaborating re the use of their fantastic Pennsy steam models in this new work.

Now, if we can just get hold of their GS4 and cars, the world might be a bit saner place...

Cheers

There's also Zug Simulator from www.zusi.de.
    They are working on a new version of their program and it sure looks good to me!

Unfortunately in German (if you don't speak the language) but maybe the pictures will do the talking?

Link: http://www.zusi.de/zusi3/zusi3.htm

If you scroll all the way down you can access more pages and information.

Edit: adjusted URL

My $0.02

KRS - For me this one is the most promising one. Although Kuju, the developer, is the developer of MSTS ( read: it's errors ), I highly doubt wether they're really to blame for it. MSTS could have been released error-free, but Microsoft obviously thinks in marketing terms. I have a far greater confidence in Electronic Arts as it comes to releasing error-free software.
    Another part why I'm going with KRS is that since EA is a commercial enterprise, that cares more about eye-candy. For me eye-candy is an important part of a realistic simulation.
    On the other side, I'm kind of disappointed in the fact that EA decided not to choose any non-European routes. Hopefully we will get a proper route editor with it, and hopefully non-European payware developers ( like 3DTrains ) will choose to make some add-ons for it as well.

TMTS - I'm not so sure about this one. As far as I understand it will only feature US and UK routes. I've seen the screenshots, and I'm not really impressed, but ( I hope ) they're still work in progress. Especially the ground textures in some screenshots look really "tiled". Also I'm not a fan of backdrops.

Default RE: tentative release dates in public domain

Amazon are listing TMTS for 20 September release and another local* (NZ) site is listing Rail Simulator (Kuju's) for 30 November. I think we should treat the release dates 'maybe' until the official announcements. But, at least you know what/when you're buying yourself for Christmas.

Sid Meier's Railroads! is also listed, for 1st October*, and Microsoft's Flight Sim X is listed for 29 November* release.

Well, enjoy.

Cheers Bazza

"Amazon are listing TMTS for 20 September release and another
    >local* (NZ) site is listing Rail Simulator (Kuju's) for 30
    >November. I think we should treat the release dates 'maybe'
    >until the official announcements. But, at least you know
    >what/when you're buying yourself for Christmas.
    >
    >Sid Meier's Railroads! is also listed, for 1st October*, and
    >Microsoft's Flight Sim X is listed for 29 November* release.
    >
    >Well, enjoy.
    >
    >Cheers Bazza"

I hope you are resting so you will be ready to make some kool stuff for TMTS when the time comes.

I guess I have to jump over and look at this " Sid Meier's Railroads", bye.

I like your engines.

Wild Willy the Wacko

Thanks Willy, I certainly intend producing stuff for TMTS. The other sim I'm not sure about, because there's little technical information available regarding the modelling, unlike the interesting snipets we've heard about TMTS.

Cheers Bazza