Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: OFFICIAL SIM COMPARISON THREAD

Installing MSTS in Win 10 is the same procedure as used from Vista onwards. basically, do not install into any flavour of Program Files, security is too tight in there, designed that way to protect the system. There is a guide on Steam4me that should be followed when installing MSTS.

That said, Open Rails is the next gen for MSTS users, and although still a work in progress is capable of far more than MSTS ever was. OK, it does not have the eye candy of the newer payware sims, but does give old MSTS a new lease of life on modern equipment.

There is also a new route editor under development called TSRE5 being done by a person galled Goku. It is again, a WIP, but already is much better than the old RE, and also has Mosaic type capabilities.
    Last edited by baldwin; 10-09-2016 at 06:34 AM.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Anyone who is looking for North American models from the library here that are not 'a decade old' in appearance for free, you are in for a long wait.

At least with Open Rails, the code is free so you can divert that money that you wont spend on the code base on better upscale payware add-ons. All the other sims require you to pay for the code base and the add-ons.

The Goku track editor looks decent. The fact that it didn't crash after ~10 minutes of playing with it already puts it miles ahead of the MSTS Editor. I've been up and down with the Steam4Me instructions to no avail. Tried reinstalls with different options, running with compatibility settings, updated drivers, etc. Considering setting up a Virtual Box, though I'm not sure it would help. If I could revive the activity editor somehow (considering hacking .act files by hand...) I'd be on my way.

Point is: I'd be happy to stick with MSTS, I just wasn't sure if there was much support for it any more, or if the payware and user community had largely moved on. The latest version of Trainz looks like it might be a fit for what I'm looking for, but it is hard to tell from their website and other forums that focus on comparing with Railworks or Run8 or gripes about backwards compatibility of the newest version. Would be most interested in the opinions of diehard MSTS users for a comparison.

Thanks.