Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Minimum Age Required To Work For The Railroad?

Default Minimum Age Required To Work For The Railroad?

Hi. I don't want to work for the railroad very much, because I know that it's a tough job, and it doesn't combine or coincide very well with railfans. However, since I'm 14 now, and I don't really have a game plan, I might as well try it.

I've had parents and relitives tell me how great and super education is, and to stay in school as long as possible. Quite frankly, I'm tiring of it, and I certainly don't believe a word they say. People may call me a loser, but at least I don't dream of unrealistic and unpossible careers.

Anyways, I was thinking of dropping out as soon as turn 16, and hiring on with CP. I've heard somewhere that the minimum age is 16, but that may have been a shortline. I know I won't be an engineer or conductor, but I may get promoted after a few years.

Would this work?

Default Minimum Age Required To Work For The Railroad?

Hi. I don't want to work for the railroad very much, because I know that it's a tough job, and it doesn't combine or coincide very well with railfans. However, since I'm 14 now, and I don't really have a game plan, I might as well try it.

I've had parents and relitives tell me how great and super education is, and to stay in school as long as possible. Quite frankly, I'm tiring of it, and I certainly don't believe a word they say. People may call me a loser, but at least I don't dream of unrealistic and unpossible careers.

Anyways, I was thinking of dropping out as soon as turn 16, and hiring on with CP. I've heard somewhere that the minimum age is 16, but that may have been a shortline. I know I won't be an engineer or conductor, but I may get promoted after a few years.

Would this work?

Default RE: Minimum Age Required To Work For The Railroad?

If I could take the same path this'd be my last year, and back in the day you could do that and hire on no problemo with a grade 10, but these days everyone wants you to learn and forget.

With the CPR, your minimum hiring age is 17, and you need a grade 12 or GED (With Proof), you also need experience with working in outdoor environments, heavy machinery, and strict safety practices.

Ovcourse, once you make it out of the 6 month probationairy period everything loosens up about with practices, it's not as bad as it sounds if you hire on in a good spot.

Good luck to ya, if all goes well I'l get on a year before you, same generation of railroaders. :)

If I could take the same path this'd be my last year, and back in the day you could do that and hire on no problemo with a grade 10, but these days everyone wants you to learn and forget.

With the CPR, your minimum hiring age is 17, and you need a grade 12 or GED (With Proof), you also need experience with working in outdoor environments, heavy machinery, and strict safety practices.

Ovcourse, once you make it out of the 6 month probationairy period everything loosens up about with practices, it's not as bad as it sounds if you hire on in a good spot.

Good luck to ya, if all goes well I'l get on a year before you, same generation of railroaders. :)

I'm pretty sure that most railroads require a full high school education. However , no matter what you do, stay in school. You'll regret dropping out later down the road.
    - Nick K.

I'm pretty sure that most railroads require a full high school education. However , no matter what you do, stay in school. You'll regret dropping out later down the road.
    - Nick K.

Furthering your education is more important than a job with the railroad. Education first.

Furthering your education is more important than a job with the railroad. Education first.

To be blunt, it seems to me that most people drop out of free school because they're lazy or not literate. Perhaps you can find a railroad position and supervisor who doesn't mind laziness. But can you?

16-17 and even 18 is a bit young for many railroad jobs. You must be 18 or 19 to work with a lot of MOW equipment or to get other certifications.

Of course, mopping the floor of the office or station could be an entry-level avenue for you, but you'll still need some kind of high-school or GED dipoma to be considered for anything more.

A college degree isn't for everyone, but a high school diploma is indispensible. And it's a lot easier to get when you're younger.

My next question....why are you putting our opinions higher than that of your parents'? Why would our advice be superior, since we don't even know you? Most parents have their children's best interests at heart, and from what you've told us of yours, you should be listening to them and not us. Face it, your parents have a lot more insight and experience (and hopefully money) than you do. It's by-far easier to take advantage of that while they're still around.

To be blunt, it seems to me that most people drop out of free school because they're lazy or not literate. Perhaps you can find a railroad position and supervisor who doesn't mind laziness. But can you?

16-17 and even 18 is a bit young for many railroad jobs. You must be 18 or 19 to work with a lot of MOW equipment or to get other certifications.

Of course, mopping the floor of the office or station could be an entry-level avenue for you, but you'll still need some kind of high-school or GED dipoma to be considered for anything more.

A college degree isn't for everyone, but a high school diploma is indispensible. And it's a lot easier to get when you're younger.

My next question....why are you putting our opinions higher than that of your parents'? Why would our advice be superior, since we don't even know you? Most parents have their children's best interests at heart, and from what you've told us of yours, you should be listening to them and not us. Face it, your parents have a lot more insight and experience (and hopefully money) than you do. It's by-far easier to take advantage of that while they're still around.