Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Info on types of Electric locos used on the NEC during the early 1980's requested and any other info on types of traffic on the NEC during this time.

Default Info on types of Electric locos used on the NEC during the early 1980's requested and any other info on types of traffic on the NEC during this time.

I would like to do some NEC-2.0 activities to be included in my early 80's era Conrail activity pack that I'm working on at the moment. I'm wondering, were the GG1's still being run at the time? What other types of passenger engine did Amtrak use?..any diesels (in addition to electrics) such as the F40? also what kind of freight traffic? what tracks were used for what?

NOTE: I have already visited several NEC website (after doing a search on NEC) but have turned very little...all the nec site seemed to be concerned with current passenger traffic.

Any and all help is most definetley appeciated and will be put to good use by ensuring a prototypical experience during my activities

Longhairedwizard

[email protected]

Delaware County, Pennsylvania, United States of America.

Default RE: Info on types of Electric locos used on the NEC during the early 1980's requested and any other info on types of traffic on the NEC during this time.

Here's what I know:

THe GG1s were run up until around the early 80s (1983 I believe -Yep! Almost 50 myears of service!)

They were initially replaced by the E60C (KUJO's "Metroliner")because Amtrak was embarassed about relying on a 50 year old motor (actually, they were getting frame cracks and there were some electrical incompatibility issues north of NYC).

THe E60s were not too keen in high speed service so in comes the AEM-7 in the 80s I believe.

Freight electrics were the E33 and E44 along with doubleheaded GGs.

Usually the high speed and freight lines ran in the inner tracks through mile 15 or so and the PC/SEPTA locals had the outer tracks to themselves (due to all of the station stops).

I only know between about Philadelphia and Marcus Hook area. I don't know about south of that.

AN interesting story is that Amtrak wouldn't let freigh be run on hte NE corridor after an engineer blew a signal and caused a catastrophe on the line in MD. I'll see what I can find about htat incident and post it later.

I hope this helps.

Gary

Default RE: Info on types of Electric locos used on the NEC during the early 1980's requested and any other info on types of traffic on the NEC during this time.

Thanx for the info, couple more questions though.... what was the ratio on diesel vs electric on freight and on passenger? I know freight trains could use both diesel AND electric but how bout passenger service?...would they have used the F40 also?

LHW

LWH,

Amtrak did use F40's on the NEC, although they were not nearly as common as the electrics. I know for a fact that the Atlantic City Express used an F40PH along with an ex-PC Metroliner cab car in push-pull service between Washington and wherever in New Jersey it terminated.

I also remember seeing F40's from time to time on other pax trains when I was young (grew up next to the NEC in Arbutus, MD), along with Conrail power, including the E33's and E44's on their trains.

Just remember that the E60's can't be MU'd. If they doubleheaded them (like I've seen video of powering the Silver Star) both units required a crew, just like doubleheading steam locos. That was one of the many drawbacks of the E60.

Chris Denbow - Baltimore, Md.
    CPL - http://cpl.railfan.net/
    Chris Denbow - Baltimore, MD.

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=57520&dateline=119929  7034

Delaware County, Pennsylvania, United States of America.

I do recall some F40s (now that I know what they are!) but they were mostly around 30th street from my recollection. I grew up south of Phila between the NE Corridor and the B&O/CSX line. They were used on the AC runs and I believe they were run out (and past) Harrisburg.

I don't recall too many diesels along the NE Corridor, but I am sure they were there.

A side story, I remember watching trains at Curtis Park when a GG1 (PC in those days) ripped along the outer track. I had to hang onto the nearby post to keep from getting drawn under the dang thing! (At least that's the way it felt to a little kid!) :-)

GH

One more question?.....what would be the speed limit(s) for freight trains pulled by electrics? surely it would be limited by the freight cars but I wonder what would be reasonable?

LHW

LHW ,
    g'morinin :-)
    looking at the way you prepare for writing your activities , I was wondering when YOU were going to write a tutorial?

I'm just bustin' em !
    nice work!

Make a Mess!!
    I am :-)

" I do what my Rice Krispies tell me to do "
    Make a Mess

Snap, Crackle & Pop Stumbl!!!!....hehe

LHW

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-18-02 AT 10:43AM (EDT)[/font][p]LHW the Freight Speed Limit on the NEC used to be 70mph unless limited to less by the equipment in use....

For Instance I believe Coal Drags and some really heavy stuff were limited to 50mph!

The GG1s regeared for Freight service had a top speed of 90 and the E44s were something like 65 or 70mph....

IIRC the E33s being originally geared for Mountain Freight duty had a top speed of 59mph....

Also IIRC the P5s once they were regeared for Freight were limited to 70mph....

Hope this Helps

And anyone who has more recent or accurate numbers please feel free to correct me....

------Chuck Schneider---------
    [Link Expired]
    -----"Power for You"-------
    http://nalw.macfall.com
    Chuck Schneider
    Chief Cook and Bottle Washer (Virtual CEO)
    North American (Virtual) Locomotive Works

Hmmmmm I could really freak some people out by using action events to limit their speed....hehe,....their track monitor will tell them the speed limit is 110mph but if they go say 60 with a coal train, the "reach speed" action event will unsuccessfully end their activity....mmmuuuhahahahhahaaaaaa

LOL

LHW