Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Improving Game performance

Jct of the NS Southern Tier an, New York.

Default Improving Game performance

Hello,

My Compaq Presario experiences slowdowns and low frame rates, usually in the teens, while running MSTS. I often defrag once a week. I would like to improve the gameís performance. I know that Iím not unique with this problem as this topic has been discussed before. I would just like to compare my own computer stats and hear suggestions from others:

750Mhz AMD Duron Processor, 64MB, 20 GB hard drive, 8MB Nvidia TNT2 Graphics, 10/100 Mb PCi NIC, and Sound Max integrated Audio

Would purchasing GeForce 3 or 4 as well as additional RAM improve performance?

Thank you,
    Walter Conklin

Default RE: Improving Game performance

Walt, a G3 or G4 would help a lot, but according to Patrick Norton on the Screen Savers TV show, a G4 video card is still "overkill" on most games now on the market.

I think your problem really is not enough memory on your present card and on your system. The video card should have a minimum of 32mb (prefered would be 64mb). Your system memory could use a boost to 128mb or higher.

Since you cannot upgrade the memory on your present card I'd go for a Nivida Geforce2 or even 3 with 64mg. Don't go for the MX cards as they are somewhat cripled compared to the "full" cards.

Rich

geekman Guest

Hello Walter,

I agree with Rich. Im my opinion there are two things you can do that will give you the biggest performance boost - more system memory and a faster graphics card.

You should have a minimum of 128 MB system memory. 256MB would be even better. With your system you probably wouldn't see much difference going to 512MB. You will definitely see a jump in performance by adding more memory, however.

To really get a jump in frame rate, however, you need a hotter graphics card with more graphics memory. As Rich says, you don't need a new G4 card. I bought a GeForce 3TI200 and I couldn't be happier. Just make sure you get a good brand and that you download the latest drivers. Now that the G4 cards are out, you should start to see the G3 cards going down in price dramatically. If you want a good comparison on video cards (and other computer related hardware as well) to to Tom's Hardware (http://www4.tomshardware.com/) and scroll down to the video section. After a few hours you'll know more than you ever wanted to know about video cards.

Of course, you could go all out and get a whole new system. I just upgraded to an Athlon XP 1700+ system, 512MB DDR RAM, and a Soundblaster Audigy sound card. It's awesome. With all sliders maxed out, I'm getting frame rates of 30 to 60 consistantly. And the sound of those big diesels straining to get up to speed -incredible! What? What's that you say? Speak up, I can't hear you!!

Take care and have fun!

Larry S

I would go the whole new systen route.

Mainly because Presarios have very few extra slots, and the graphics are often part of the motherboard, and steal their MBs from it. I had one, two PCs ago, and it was virtually impossible to upgrade. I gave it away, it was useless.

David

With the following system, I'm getting framerates in the 3-8 fps range with the sliders around half (actually, any frame rate above 5 is cause for celebration in my book!):

e-Machines T1115 with 1.0 GHz Intel Celeron processor, 128MB SyncDRAM, Intel 3D AGP graphics.

What should I do to get better performance?

Get more RAM!
    I have a Celeron 600. Now have 390 Ram and doing pretty good.
    FR 15fps + -
    Ted.

You defrag once a week?! I don't defrag but bi or tri-yearly! the instant you change anything from the defragged drive it is messed up again. not worth the 8 hours every week in my opinion.
    to the topic, if you can afford, it get a faster machine. My dad just got an HP pavilion 571, 2.2ghz, 1gig if ram, gforce4 graphics card 120gb hd, and surround sound. you would not believe what a leap that was from a 600mhz hp machine with 384mb of ram, 80gb hd, 64mb gforce3 graphics card and only monitor speakers. sound and graphics take a leap foward on the machine in which i am currently typing this on.
    [Link Expired]
    Hauling America one pixel at a time
    Bill Hemb 17 year old train sim repainter, autocad 2002 3d modeler
    [marquee]
    [Link Expired]

[/marquee]

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/3793/tmdlogotsfww6.jpg

Bill Hemb - Texas Western Railway CEO and CMO of the Trainsim Motive Division

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-02 AT 03:22AM (EDT)[/font][p]RE: Defragging

It takes 8 hours to defrag your drive???

I think you need to try defragging in safemode or a least shut down all you startup aplications....what could be happening is something running in the background is causing your defrag to keep starting over. That or you got one hell of a big HDD!!!

actually, if you add or delete a lot of files (as most of us trainsimmers do....) you should defrag alot more often than twice or thrice a year...you don't have to do it every week...maybe once a month depending on how much stuff you add or delete....thing is....us trainsimmers add so much, then delete a route to make room for a new one that our harddrives really do get fragmented pretty quickly and msts has the much more trouble finding files.....you should find that after defragging, msts should load somewhat faster and maybe the "stuttering" won't be as bad.

Longhairedwizard

It takes a while to defrag a 120gb hd!
    no hard feelings in my post!
    [Link Expired]
    Hauling America one pixel at a time
    Bill Hemb 17 year old train sim repainter, autocad 2002 3d modeler
    [marquee]
    [Link Expired]

[/marquee]

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/3793/tmdlogotsfww6.jpg

Bill Hemb - Texas Western Railway CEO and CMO of the Trainsim Motive Division

I also defrag at least once a week, mainly due to the clutter created by Windows XP, and also the size of saved games from things like MSTS and CIV3.

I would recommend using speed disk from Norton, rather than the standard defrag. It will put frequently used files at the top, and you can even tell it if you want all your MSTS stuff at the beginning, which makes running the sim slightly faster.

David