Thread: Uneven tracks

LESJMC Guest

Default Uneven tracks

Is there any way to try and level out the tracks in Maria's Pass I think that contributes alot to the coupler problem. Driving along and then taking a ft. drop in the track. I hope this is not real in the real worlds.

Thanks

Les

Default RE: Uneven tracks

Les,

You can go into the route editor and start leveling grades to your hearts content. Just be sure you familiar with the perils and pitfalls of using it. You can possibly corrupt the route or track database by doing things like saving while a track is still selected or selecting a track with a referenced object(milepost, signal, speedlimit, etc.) and then saving the route.

You can also download the Marias Pass V3 file - mp30.zip
    Many of the extreme grades were corrected in this version and many people on this forum will testify to its superiority over the original route.

As far as the broken couplers go, there is apparently a bounding box problem that exists with some of the switch track pieces and the way they interact with the bounding boxes on some of the cars. Most folks here have increased the coupler break values on each car/engine in the trainset file and/or deleted or commented out the bounding boxes in the switches .sd files. Go to the traim-sim faq's here: http://www.trainsim.com/faq/msts/ops.htm#3.12 -or do a search here for broken couplers and you'll get more info on doing this.

Good Luck,

Batt

There have been some posts where members say re-laying that section of track has made a definite difference. I can't find a specific article, but maybe you should also search all the archives and post this question on the Route Design forum. Even though we can't seem to browse the archives serially at the moment, we can still search them.

While the broken coupler issue may be fixed by the awesome Marias3, untill you fix the ENG and WAG files, they will continue to break apart on other routes. Every route, even Seattle BNSF, has spots where the train wants to break apart, and unless you reset the coupler valve to a higher break point, you will never get rid of the problem.

Chris

Marias 3 did not fix the coupler problems. Other than changing the coupler values for the rolling stock, I've yet to see a definitive solution to this problem. I've replaced the 10 degree switches with 5 degree versions in a test and even that didn't help. Way back in the beginning, like, a year ago, there were a large number of tests done by folks to try to get rid of the problem, all of which failed, more or less.

Ya, MP3 is a very good upgrade from the original, but there seems to be no change when it comes to hitting the westbound part of the crossover east of Cutbank.. I've tried relaying all sorts of track pieces there too and something still isn't right.. The actual problem is at the point nearest to the west road crossing on the westbound track..

for me KHP's grades are by far the best.. VERY nice and gradual and VERY UNnoticeable!!

[font color=dark red] cdntrains [font color=green][marquee scrollamount=4][Link Expired] [Link Expired] "must be trains in the blood" :) [/marquee]
    [marquee scrollamount=4 behavior=slide][font size=1] http://www.frograil.com/gifs/gifs.htm [/marquee]

I'm going to point out again that the coupler break problem seems to be inherent in both 5 and 10 degree switches and, most strangely, the exact same switch that works fine in most locations on a route will break unstrengthened couplers in other places. without regard to grade or any other track or route conditions. I had seven crossovers with identical 5-degree switches in a 40 mile stretch of my route, and in the first iteration of the route, 3 of the 7 caused problems. I went from 2.5 to 5 to 10 degree switches and found utterly random uncoupling problems no matter what I did. On the current version of the route, for whatever reason, I seem to be okay now (knock on wood!), though I don't know what would happen if I was still using default break values, as almost all of my equipment has the super-strength couplers. As noted in other posts, I have not been able to alleviate the problem by editing out the bounding box parameters.