Thread: What the Power Poles Look Like in Real Life

Transcon Guest

Default What the Power Poles Look Like in Real Life

When I get something like Flight Simulator or Train Simulator, I get picky about realism. On my recent Northeast trip, I saw the Acela line between Newark, DE and Aberdeen, MD along Interstate 95. Train Simulator is pretty accurate on the woods that surrounds that area, but one thing is a little off... the power lines on top (yes those crosses on top of the gantries are power lines.) Here's what they really look like (don't have a digital camera so I decided to whip up a picture file.)

[Link Expired]

I am very used to realism with my MS Simulator products and so I've come to expect every little detail on everything. (yes, I know some things I wish cannot be done and others can suck up memory faster than 'crap through a goose'.) I'd love to see insulators and rust and everything on those gantries. Now the question is, Has anybody done this? or what I ask is impossible?

Default RE: What the Power Poles Look Like in Real Life

If you like framerates in the 3 to 10 range by all means get picky about realism. It's a tradeoff Transcon, the more detail on trackside objects the more info the sim has to process and that translates into a jerky display. You can't, at this stage of technology, have exact detailed scenery objects and good steady framerates. This is why in the to be released NECv4 route I use as much as possible, default scenery objects. Rusty gantrys are nice but they detract from train operation. Someone posted a set of gantrys a while back that were quite detailed, insulators guy wires and such. Over 50 polygons for each gantry compared to 6 polygons for the default gantry. I placed them on one tile on the route. While driving the route when I entered that tile my framerates dropped from a nice 30 to 40 range to 4!!!
    So now I could watch all these pretty gantrys as the train stuttered along at four frames per second. Not much realism there at all.
    Maybe when we get processors running in the 20 Ghz range it will be possible but not now.

Regards,
    Vince Cockeram
    NEC Track Team
    [email protected]
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

[em]Someone posted a set of gantrys a while back that were quite detailed, insulators guy wires and such. Over 50 polygons for each gantry compared to 6 polygons for the default gantry. I placed them on one tile on the route. While driving the route when I entered that tile my framerates dropped from a nice 30 to 40 range to 4!!![/em]

Interesting... the gantries are normally spaced far enough this shouldn't cause problems even with maximum drawing distance. Maybe it's something about the way msTS handles catenary. Wonder if the performance hit would be equally bad if you had 'no gantries' for the route, and added them manually as scenery objects.

[Link Expired]

this one is for the 'other' sim.. but as you can see, it's pretty detailed. Yet, compared to the same route without the catenary the added geometry makes fractional impact on the framerates, if any...

The trick to adding detailed track side objects is much the same as it is to adding loco's and rolling stock. That is to be very diligent about how you place your LOD's in the models so that it won't really have that much impact on the frame rate, that way the game's not trying to render a fully modelled set of gantries at 1500-2000 meters where you can't really see them anyway.