Thread: BB's Smoke and Steam hype.

Default BB's Smoke and Steam hype.

Didn't expect such a stir! But, that's OK. It seems there are some purest out there and that's ok too. What MSTS and TrainSim.com had afforede us all is to realize our dreams and wildest fantasy: to sit at the controls of an engine whether steam, diesel or electric. For me, as a child I watched, sometime from 6 miles away (from our ranch) the column of smoke that marked the path of Cabfordward working their way up the North Sacramento Valley even in the heat of summer! When I was 12 the last steam ran on SP (Oct. 18, 1956) then was gone forever. Or so it was thought. First there was Rail Fairs and now MSTS and TrainSim.com. Long live Steam! and a special thanks to all the people at NALW. Thank you all. It sure beats watching a brass import racing around the edge of a basement.
    Though I have HO scale SP equipment, I never had the three necessary items to do anything (Time, Money, and Space)at the same time. My thing is to recreate what I remember and love, SP steam. What I remember as a child and again as an adult watching GS4 4449 4-8-4 in May of 1991 returning to Oregon. After a freek snow storm dumped 2' of snow on the base of Mt Shasta, 4449 without helpers working the grade in 2' of snow put up a plume that looked like Mt. Shasta had erupted. I watched the smoke/steam plume for 20 min. before 4449 came in sight. This and the sound is what I am trying to recreate.
    However for me and for the purest, and for those who are designing items we are greatly handycaped. For all the great and beautiful work NALW has done, I doubt that the BB and haul 150 cars up a 1.8% at road speed as she was designed. Nor will I ever likely get the smoke and sound these engines created. More than anything due to the limitations of MSTS, this is evidence in the second engine of a malley or articulated and helper engines loosing tracation so easily (not prototypal). However we can realize our dreams and fantasy as best we can and leave the rest to our imaginations.
    As to my changes effecting positively or negatively the performance of the BB. I have no way of knowing as I don't have a Dyno Meter Car to attach to the BB. Maybe the folks at NALW can design one. At anyrate I can't notice any difference in preformance othaer than smoke and steam. I still need two ssw 4-8-4 #819 heavys to help the BB get 68 cars over Marias 3 or Modern Tehachapi Pass. The real BB should handle this alone with no problem. Though Harpman is correct in his statement of the management of the regulator vs reverser this will produce little smoke and steam. To each his own.
    Hay, Harold I look fordward to BBv2 release, and to any improvement to the sound and whistle. For now I'm fairly happy with my ESE sound patch until you folks at NALW come up with something better. Still can't find a whistle I'm happy with. At any rate don't take this negatively, keep up the good work and thanks from us all.
    If you all don't hear from me offten, don't read anything into that. I work for farmers and work 10-12 hr. days, so I mainly get on this weekends and holidays after 9:00pm pacific time. Well I guess I said enought if not too much! I'll sign off for now and dream of when the Trainartisans GS4 4449 will be released and the fine AC-12 Cabfordward that is being worked on. It looks like he is geting everything right. My Grandfather once told me, "if it's worth doing, it worth doing right the first time." This means taking your time. Untill then I'll dream of when I can run the GS-4 and Cabforward on my railroad.
    By the way, I've seem as GS4 daylight outthere in some of you pic. is it available and from who? Or was it a Beta release?
    Good luck everyone and thanks to all who are contriubuting to the MSTS growth. Happy railroading to all.
    Harby46
    Happy and Safe Railroading to ya.
    Tom (harby46) Harbison

Default RE: BB's Smoke and Steam hype.

Hay needed to reply to my own message! Got the date wrong. The last steam on Sp was Oct. 18, 1958, not 56. Was thinking of my Bday (1946) when I wrote that.
    Happy and Safe Railroading to ya.
    Tom (harby46) Harbison

lilman316 Guest

Default RE: BB's Smoke and Steam hype.

I have had the privelige(spelt wrong no dictionary) of being in the cab of a 0-4-0 at a rail convention and fell in love with small steam. I love makin 0-4-0 do 7-10 hrs work in yard switchin I have done it several times then I got the sit on the sidelines and watch actually watch a mikado roll into a station*restored of course) and I fell in love with big steam. I am a steam man who likes steam and diesel over anything else *not into electricity to much but run a few of the acts and have the GG1* I just had to comment and say I also know how it feels to see a cloud of black smoke rising into a baby blue sky and here the rumble of the piston arms moving in and out in a rythmic motion. there is nothing in the world that can compare to it. If steam came back today I would be one of the first to jump in a cab and drive a 0-4-0 or a heavy steam engine across the US. Steam was the pioneer age in rail and greatest. Steam made the united states. if we didn't have trains we wouldv'e never been able to see or hear the wonderful sites that now very few of us have had the pleasure of. without steam we couldn't see 102 cars being pulled up a 5. grade. and it's such a shame the only way we can see massive walls of smoke is to go to a convention where they run a train for 3 hours and put it back behind a fence. That wasn't the idea behind the steam locos to be put behind fences and viewed by passerbyes it was to haul large loads of freight up steep grades and through the praries of the flatlands. It just breaks my heart to see the only way steam is surviving is through computer games and keeping them behind fences. I've only seen 3 running steam engine in the 17 years of my life. A ATSF 0-4-0 a mikado*don't remember livery* and a shay, and the shay was only run for 15 minutes due to rain at a convention*I go to any convention in my area I can find* so steam is the building blocks of todays diesel and elec. railroads. steam will live forever even if it is through mega bytes and fenced off areas. and to me that is something far greater than any diesel created. I would have steam riding the BNSF rails 1/4 mile away from my house any day.
    I've talked enough to so I'll be quiet
    lilman316
    rail game is my game.
    http://www.trainweb.org/jlsrr/bigboy...tures/4004.JPG