Thread: Can Routes folder be moved...?

UtilityInfielder Guest

Default Can Routes folder be moved...?

... to another logical drive? Other words buy new slaved hardrive and move routes folder there leaving rest of trainsim behind on old drive?

Code:
    Http://pweb.jps.net/~wasatch/_uimages/eventSide2.gif

kevarc Guest

Default RE: Can Routes folder be moved...?

Nope, not unless you can edit the program to point to the new location.

UtilityInfielder Guest

" Nope, not unless you can edit the program to point to the new location. "

HA! Piece of cake!

For Albert Einstein, not for me. :)

I thought as much... oh well. Can't complain, don't want my grumblings to discourage Mr. Gates. As long as M$ owns trainsim and flightsim we simmers have a pretty good life. He makes 99% on his OS's and 01% on his sims, so hope he doesn't loose interest. Praise be to the honorable Mr. Gates!

Code:

If you have got Windows 2000 or XP, you can make a partition on your new harddisk, format it, and then mount it under the ROUTES directory.

Of course, you have to move all the routes to the new partition beforehands, because after the mount old dir is no longer visible.

It works like DOS JOIN or UNIX mount commands.

Umberto

UtilityInfielder Guest

...hmmm sounds cool, but I still use Win98SE, so probably not doable. I guess it might be possible to move my whole FlightSim2002 installation over to the new physical drive, if so that should give at least some headroom.

Route Riter choped 700 megs off of 4.6 gigs worth of routes, about 15% I guess.

Thanks.

Code:

This probably isn't new to you, but just in case. Route-Control by Jak Fearon, will take all of the addon routes and saves about 80-90% disk space on each folder. The only drawback is some wait time between changes, while RC rebuilds the route, and the fact that only one route, besides the 6 orginal routes, is visible at any one time.

RobertR

Robert R

UtilityInfielder Guest

Well your message got me to look a little closer at Route Control, looks like even after running all the new routes through Route Riter, there's still going to be lots more savings with RC's tricks. Probably I'll be buying it.

I wish it worked like Flightsim, where you may stuff new scenery any ol' place.

Code:

pdave1s Guest

They may not be able to be moved and remain funtional, but i regularly store all my routes on a separate drive from msts, copying in only the route that im going to run( is called too cheap to buy a bigger drive :) )

kevarc Guest

RC is real nice, but it sometimes hiccups with the new routes. To save space I use Route Riter. Most of the new routes are already packed by RR, except Rich's ORR, so you will not gain any space by using RC. RR worked on ORR V8, and I am planning on trying it on 9 sometime this weekend.