Thread: Flanger

Default Flanger

This is my first attempt at modeling, learning as I go using gmax. Needless to say there are many, many invested hours in this simple model while I climb the learning curve.

http://home.cablelynx.com/~RPertuit/flangerModel.jpg

http://home.cablelynx.com/~RPertuit/FlangerReal.jpg

I got this idea and plans from an old Model Railroader magazine (Aug 1979...which kind of dates me doesn't it). Flangers were used to scrap ice and snow from between the rails to prevent derailments from hardened ice. You'll notice the notches in the blades. An operator sat in the cabin and raised and lowered the blades as necessary when going through a switch or grade crossing. Air pressure was used as the motive force for raising and lowering the blade. A second chair and controls faced the opposite direction to allow him to operate in the reverse without turning the flanger around. The one featured in Model Railroader was owned by Fonda, Johnstown & Gloversville RR (look them up with Google). Since I doubted many people were into the FJ&G RR, I decided to make this one the property of the Ohio River and Western (still one of the routes I enjoy the most). The model is a little high in the poly counts (2514) but I guess optimizing comes with experience. Any way I'll upload it to the library tonight for anyone interested.

Default RE: Flanger

Well CajunRon let me be the first to say it is a fab model particularly for a first attempt. I for one will hope to see much more of your work in future.

I expect my Clinchfield RR could find a use for this in support of its rebuild efforts.

Be Seeing you.
    Michael

That is a VERY good model. Well done and nicely detailed.

If you don't mind, I can offer some info on Flangers use in general.

Flangers weren't (or aren't, since some are still in use today) always used for just ice. Another use is in a ballast traing, spreading and cleaning ballast out of the flanges and to the sides of the track where the ballast is meant to be. Most snow plows had their own flangers though, built right under the plow itself. A flanger such as this might be used in an area that doesn't get much in the way of snowfall, or behind a rotary or some other type of plow.

Sometimes, a flanger was built out of a box car or a scrapped caboose. One of the more INTERESTING ones I have ever seen was built out of an old locomotive frame. (no kidding here) it must have been an old geep or something, but it looked like a slug unit with a flanger plow slung under the middle and a snow plow on the front. Really novel idea, but I've only seen the one and don't have pictures.

Nice job, Boudreaux! Good looking work.

Pop
    (Displaced Coon-ass)