Thread: stars

Default stars

I have set my sun and moon to appear at different times than the default, but how do I get rid of the stars in the clear sky in the early evening before dusk?

thanks

Default RE: stars

The time at which the starry sky turns on in the evening and off in the morning is set at a different place than sunrise/sunset and moonrise/moonset.

The default MSTS sky (and most of the non-default ones) have three sky layers. The starry sky is the second one, and it has times which you can set for when it appears and disappears.

First, my usual instruction. You must determine which environment filename is being used by the Season and Weather combination of the activity in the route you're interested in tweaking. Go to the main folder of the route in Windows Explorer, and look for a file named "routename".trk, as in Seaview4.trk. Open it in Wordpad, and look for the section that starts:

Environments (
    SpringClear ( filename.env )
    SpringRain ( filename.env )
    ..... (and so on)

Identify the filename for the season/weather combination you're interested in. The go to the \ENVFILES folder of the route and find that filename. Open it in Wordpad (AFTER MAKING A BACKUP COPY). Relatively near the top, look for this section:

world_sky_layer
    (
    world_sky_layer_fadein ( 18:00:00 20:00:00 )
    world_sky_layer_fadeout ( 06:00:00 08:00:00 )
    world_sky_layer_top
    (
    world_sky_layer_top_nfaces ( 8 )
    world_sky_layer_top_radius ( 660 )
    world_sky_layer_top_height ( 1000 )
    )
    world_sky_layer_edge
    (
    world_sky_layer_edge_steps
    (
    world_sky_layer_edge_step_height ( 0 )
    world_sky_layer_edge_step_radius ( 1400 )
    )
    )
    world_anim_shader
    (
    world_anim_shader_frames
    (
    world_anim_shader_frame
    (
    world_anim_shader_frame_uvtiles ( 2 2 )
    )
    )
    world_shader ( BlendATex
    terrain_texslots ( 1
    terrain_texslot ( starsky.ace 1 0 )
    )
    terrain_uvcalcs ( 1
    terrain_uvcalc ( 1 0 0 0 )
    )
    )
    )
    )

This is one sky layer, in this case the second one, the one with the "starsky.ace" texture. The unique thing about this layer are the two lines:

world_sky_layer_fadein ( 18:00:00 20:00:00 )
    world_sky_layer_fadeout ( 06:00:00 08:00:00 )

Of course, here we find another Kuju snafu. Looks like the stars should fade-in and fade-out, right? Sorry. Doesn't work. But, this layer WILL turn on at 18:00 (6 PM), and it will turn off at 8:00 (AM). You you can easily change those times if you like. Just stick them in there (don't forget the 24-hour clock), save up, and try it out.

You may want to experiment with various "star appearance times" and sunset and moonrise times, as all three will interact to make for various sun-setting effects.

My usual mantra. If you're serious about this kind of tweaking, get Michael Vone's "Guide to Route-Building", with 60 pages of environment stuff, and my own Environment Control utility (in the file library) to make the whole process much easier.

Good luck!

Jeff