Thread: Train Store Wish List

Default Train Store Wish List

I have a wish list for Train Store "Future Features"

1. Uninstall automatically runs "Unstore Everything". We often get "missing" questions here that turn out to be someone removing Train Store without having unstored everything first. This would solve that problem.

2. Strengthen the "Scenario" feature by having the ability to have Train Store open showing a list of saved scenarios ( much like you see the routes list ). The top of this screen would show the scenario currently in use. Highlighting a scenario name, and then clicking a "Go" button would load that scenario and launch MSTS. To go with this, it would be nice to have separate "explore mode consists" lists for each saved scenario. This way, no electric locomotive consists need be loaded if all the routes in a scenario are not electrified. It would be up to the user to determine which consists go with which scenario, just like "mini" versions of the current explore mode consists.

3. On the current screen ( which would still be available, either by clicking a button on the scenarion screen ( Set Up Scenarios ), or by the user choosing to have Train Store open with it displayed instead of the Scenario menu ), I would make the toolbar buttons larger and label them.

Just some enhancements that I thought would make it easier for some to use Train Store. This comes after helping someone use Train Store during long distance phone calls.
    Joe Morris, OVSRails Vice President
    OVSRails Engineer #2
    OVSRails
    OVSRails Forums

Default RE: Train Store Wish List

while I don't use trainstore , opening the sim automatically would be a bad idea.
    Or at least you would need a switch to disable that feature.
    At least for me , I prefer to have as little as possible running when I open the sim.

Edit: might be nice to be able to tell trainstore to leave the trainsets intact.
    As an activity writer I find this is the reason I don't use train store.
    Just because a piece of stock is not in a current activity, doesn't mean I don't want to put it in. :)
    Make a Mess

>Edit: might be nice to be able to tell trainstore to leave
    >the trainsets intact.
    >As an activity writer I find this is the reason I don't use
    >train store.
    >Just because a piece of stock is not in a current activity,
    >doesn't mean I don't want to put it in. :)

Anything you want to keep, you can put in your global consists folder.

And, Trainstore already has a function to launch MSTS on exit. It does not hang around. I just wanted to have a "Scenario Menu". Pick your scenario ( group of routes to be loaded ), and go. Very simple for the end user once it is set up.

The "explore mode" consists customized for each scenario would be useful for activity writers, especially for ones associated with a VR. A scenario could be created that would have all the "VR approved" equipment in the explore mode consists for that scenario, and TS would "hide" those that shouldn't be used. We often have problem activities created that call for a piece of rolling stock that not everyone has. Usually it gets caught in the testing stages, but not always. Then an activity writer could also have other scenarios which contained non-"VR Approved" stock for personal enjoyment. That is one way I use Train Store. Even though I don't write activities yet, I have a scenario that only has the "VR approved" equipment. Then when I test an activity, I will get the same errors as our members who don't have anything but the "approved" equipment. Otherwise, I might pass an activity for release that would cause problems for others.

Anyway, this menu request is not about me or any other experienced MSTS users. I was looking to make TS easier to use for those not so experienced.
    OVSRails Engineer #2
    OVSRails
    OVSRails Forums

just goes to show ya :)
    moral of the story...
    "keep yer mouth shut when you know less than you think you do"

looks like I broke that rule this time.
    blame it on the krispies i guess :s

"I do what my Rice Krispies tell me to do"
    Make a Mess

As an Activity writer, you would be using Maintenance Mode. You can specify whatever Stock Item or Consist you need on a Route basis using the Maintenance Mode lists.

Tony

Hey Stumbl,

Now you know more than you did. And you contributed what your reservations about using Train Store were. So, someone else learned from you how Train Store may or may not be what they need. We all learn from each other, and having read many of your posts here and elsewhere, I know your knowledge, and your willingness to share it, is a great asset to the MSTS community.
    OVSRails Engineer #2
    OVSRails
    OVSRails Forums

<A scenario could be created that would have all the "VR approved" equipment in the explore mode consists for that scenario, and TS would "hide" those that shouldn't be used. We often have problem activities created that call for a piece of rolling stock that not everyone has. Usually it gets caught in the testing stages, but not always. Then an activity writer could also have other scenarios which contained non-"VR Approved" stock for personal enjoyment. That is one way I use Train Store.

Joe, I've done this for NERR, for ADFRR and for Default with ease. I simply (one time only) went through and selected all the NERR equipment in the "Stock Maint" window, right clicked on it, set the "Lot Number" to NERR and then all it takes is typing that in the lot number, enter (or appply) and it's all there. Also, you can make a separate entry for NERR Box, or NERR 40ftbox, etc. and narrow it down almost any way you choose. Since you can multiple select and right click that selection, it's very simple and extremely quick to do.

This same idea can be done with both consists and stock and is easier and clearer (to me anyway) than doing a scenario. I usually only use the scenario for a save that I want to come back to and be sure it works.

However, as always .. your mileage may vary ;-)

RobertR .. ADF-M&RM at http://www.adfrr.com

Robert R

Tony one thing I would wonder and wish for would be in a future version a drop down that tells you when everything unstored of which consists are not being used for anything...dead weight.I know RR has this but I don't use it and have no intention right now to installe it either.Nothing against the program just no need for it.

Just Rollin Down The Tracks
    http://www3.telus.net/apickell//squamishsub.jpg
    Dale
    Work Safe play hard

Thanks for the suggestions for Train Store. I will bear them in mind for a future release, but I am afraid it's a little bit too late to inlude these things in the next release which is being beta tested and is almost complete.

Just to comment on 2 things -

To DrJoe re: uninstall
    [li]I am not sure what can sensibly be done with that. The only Uninstall process which is 'shown' to the user is on the Toolbar. That won't run unless the state is 'Everything Unstored'. I don't provide an icon for the uninstaller, so a user shouldn't normally find the uninstall to run it 'by hand'. If anyone does run the uninstall program 'by hand' they have deliberately set out to do it that way. (I can't stop the uninstaller from (sometimes!) appearing in the Windows list either). But anyway, Train Store covers each of these eventualities by a message warning you that you should not be running the uninstaller, unless you have started it from the menu. I don't think the uninstaller should refuse to uninstall, because then you could get in a deadlock situation where it can't uninstall because it can't prove that everything is unstored. I think that we can't prevent everything. Also whatever we do with the uninstaller, we can't prevent the ultimate mess when someone has just deleted the storage folder without thinking.[/li]

To Dale:
    Re: Unused Consists
    [li]I think you are being a little too reticent about Route_Riter. It is an excellent tool and something I wouldn't be without for installing and checking new routes, and I also use it as one of the checking references when testing Train Store. I thoroughly recommend it. It also is exactly what you need to answer your question concerning unused consists! The design of Train store and Route_Riter are quite different. Train Store tries to do as little as possible in the way of processing to get the result it requires, because it must be fast. Route_Riter, on the other hand, is deliberately setting out to analyse and report in full detail. This is one reason why, in Train Store, there is only a basic level of reporting, to provide the information you need (e.g. exactly what is the error) This basic level of reporting has been added to in the next version of Train Store (e.g. you can get a Where Used on any Consist or Stock Item, and there is nothing to stop you requesting it for all items) but I don't intend to add a reporting module onto Train Store, because I think it has already been done, by Route_Riter.
    [/li]

Thanks

Tony