Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Eureka! Front Coupler Success!

  1. #1

    Default Eureka! Front Coupler Success!

    After much reading and looking up of old threads, I've finally been able to do front couplings with repeated success. Please excuse my not naming all the particular folks individually... you know who you are who have spoken and contributed on the subject. The only reason I am offering up this post (besides my sheer joy in consistently being able to do it), is to mention to any other noobies the pivotal step that made it all work correctly for me.

    First, I did the double coupler section in the .eng file, using the values put forth in that document for break, etc. Then I adjusted the coupling times in the default.wag file. Then, I used the revised throttle settings for better low power engine control... and I thought everything was great, but I still was unable to front couple! I followed the instructions from Swissies post on the subject to the letter, but there was one thing that was not clear.

    In order to front couple, you MUST move away with some speed. After putting my front coupler up to the wagon, I was always backing away too slowly in order for the front coupling to succeed. I would just keep going and never couple. Once I began backing away with a bit more speed, THEN the front coupler started coupling!

    I can now do it with 100% success! Thanks to all who have made this possible. I am humbled and thankful for your knowledge and willingness to help and share.

    Relevant sources:

    [Link Expired]
    [Link Expired]
    [Link Expired]

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    So. Chicago Heights, Il., USA.
    Posts
    831

    Default RE: Eureka! Front Coupler Success!

    Never had a problem coupling with the front of a locomotive. Trying to uncouple, and back away was always the killer. Thanks for trying to explain the A number one bug with MSTS. To enjoy Trian Sim, the common switch engine has to be able to access both front and back couplers.

    Just a thought
    Dejoh.hey snipe.
    Interested in all Train-Sims

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint John, NB, Canada.
    Posts
    382

    Default RE: Eureka! Front Coupler Success!

    I have a question that is related to the front coupler . Why is it when you couple to some cars the engine can move them fairly easily and some cars the engine can hardly move them even under full power. I have come across this quite often. Greg

  4. #4

    Default RE: Eureka! Front Coupler Success!

    Weight of the cars? Is the handbrake on?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA.
    Posts
    212

    Default RE: Eureka! Front Coupler Success!

    Hello Greg,

    Your problem could be caused by two things. One, check the handbrakes to be sure they are off. Two, if the cut will not move, try a brake application to suppression, after the air stops, release the brakes, wait for recharge before moving. If the cars were dropped recently, the brakes would still be applied, and would have to be recharged for a release to occur.

    Try this and let me know if it works for you!

    Bob.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint John, NB, Canada.
    Posts
    382

    Default RE: Eureka! Front Coupler Success!

    Thanks Bob i'll try the air brake suggestion tomorrow as i am busy whith something else . I will get back to you afterwords.Greg

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    DesMoines, Washington, USA.
    Posts
    961

    Default RE: Eureka! Front Coupler Success!

    I had this crop up on an activity I've been working on. The first part of the activity has one pick a caboose off the rack with the front coupler and put it on the end of the string of freight cars to be moved. Then the engine runs around the string, couples onto the other end, and head out of the yard. First time I tried it the string acted like it was welded to the rails. If I reset the activity with the caboose already attached, or skipped the caboose altogether, everything worked fine. After messing with it for several days, I finally turned around the freight car cut using the "toggle consist direction" feature in AE. This fixed the problem and everything works as it is supposed to. It obviously had something to do with the facing of the cars and how the Kuju Large Universal Differential Game Engine (aka KLUDGE) deals with a front coupler to front coupler (or back coupler to back coupler) situations.

    Brad Meyer

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •