Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSTS Reinstall ruins routes.

Default MSTS Reinstall ruins routes.

Hey guys.

I just did a complete reinstall of MSTS. I uninstalled it then re-installed it. Now all my routes, freeware and payware eighter don't load up OR if they do they all have no terrain, just a nice void with scenery.

Is there anyway to fix this? Or must I completely reinstall everything? Thanks.

Rob

Default RE: MSTS Reinstall ruins routes.

As a rule Rob,

With every un-install / re-install, I delete everything that Microsofts " un-install " leaves.

I think this may be the method you have to go with.

If you have a burner, you can always just paste your routes back into the folder after re-install.

I hinestly can't think what would cause that issue however, as most routes are " self supported " as far as everything goes besides roads & track.

Try another re-install of just MSTS

Later

Tim K - VIA Rail Canada 🇨🇦 Western Region

"If you have a burner, you can always just paste your routes back into the folder after re-install."

I originally did this, but after installing a few versions of X-tracks, I was unable to load previous versions of routes straight from CD, but had to re-install them totally. I suppose if you install X-tracks or some other rail mod, you'd have to make a backup of each route AGAIN following the rail mod, but I haven't tried that out yet to confirm.

EDIT: The reason for this is that X-tracks modifies the tsection.dat file and if you have routes saved to cd, they likely use a different tsection.dat. Installing a route with a different tsection.dat than what's currently on the system leaves you with results like the first poster mentioned, or worse.

I followed a sweet tip from Otto....

Name the old MSTS something else, like Train Simulator 2, or whatever you want. Then install MSTS. Once you do that, simply copy the files and routes over to the newly installed MSTS. Once you have what you want. delete the old newly named MSTS. Works like a charm, and only took me about 20-30 minutes as oppose to half a day.

Hi guys.
    Thanks for the words of advice.

I may have missed something, but if I were to uninstall again, then move the routes and locos etc to different location. And the re-install and place routes and locos in correct place all should be well again? Or did I screw the pooch and toast the routes?

Thanks very much guys! :)

LOL this will be the 4th time reinstalling/uninstalling this week :P
    Rob

The only things I Back Up are

Trainset Folder

Global Folder.

After I re-install MSTS and the patches, I then re-install the 2 above noted folders.

Other than that I install a few routes I think I may run over the month.

For the record ... I do this every month and I have not had an issue yet.

Later

Tim K - VIA Rail Canada 🇨🇦 Western Region

Great thanks Tim!

I'll give it a shot tonight, I'm going over to the station to get VIA 75- Garunteed F40PH-2. I'll grab you some detail shots while I'm there. I'm not sure what unit, probably not a Spidey but might be OLI.
    Rob

kevarc Guest

When you reinstalled, it trashed your gloabal folder.

It will also trash the trainset folder, for some reason it will delete the cvf file from your cabview folders.

Copy them to a safe place, I use my other hard drive and then do a reinstall.

The real question that should be asked, is why anyone should need to reinstall MSTS in the first place, apart from a hard disk crash.

Any properly set up PC, should give enough error info so that errors are fairly correctable, even without route riter.

David

kevarc Guest

Yep, I have had to once, for some reason I totally trashed it and had to reload.