Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Signal Aspect Visibility

Default RE: Signal Aspect Visibility

Well, Jon

Speechless for a moment. Perhaps you've said more in your third post than I've said in a couple hundred over the years. :+

Not being too interested in BNSF, I never would have found it!

I guess MLT was, or is going to get a chuckle out of this one.

Thanks!

Mark
    A Southern Railway Fan

Ha! Well, let's hope that's an early beta.

[Link Expired]

It works, the two signals under the arrow are actually more visible than they are with this jpeg compression, but look at the near signal on the left! Didn't Scotty have this same problem with the cornrow objects? Somehow he finally got the alphas to play nice, but I forget how.

Oh yeah, one thing I forgot to mention in the readme. Even though the ACE file is just a transparent image file, the simulator engine treates it like an alpha transparent image. You won't be able to alter the alpha sortings for these signal lenses, so you will have to make sure you have no other alphas around. Sniper, in your case, you would have to have trees using the -trans switch versus the -alpha.

Regards,
    [email protected]

Hmmm, nope, that ain't it. stpine1.ace, stpine2.ace, and spitpine2.ace are all 43kB, from TGAtool2 Export as ace, -trans, compress DXT, patch #1 makeace. I usually do that anyway if it don't affect the quality, since the 1 bit alpha compresses to 43kB for 256x256, and 171kB for 512x512. The 8 bit alphas don't compress anywhere near as tight, so I use those only when I have to. These being forest regions might make a difference, possibly this new autogantry forest idea that Chris Schwan came up with might work. Forest regions tend to not work and play well with others when multiple alphas start stacking, even if they're all 1 bit (-trans) alphas. I'll try sticking a single object that's not a forest region in between, altho I hate to think of doing that at 80 some odd junctions. x(

Hi sniper,

This solution looks like i descibed earlier in this post:
    Blow up the light-texture and edit the lightradius in the sigcfg.dat!
    But this light-texture is realy blowed up to 512x512!
    I used 256x256 so i have no problem that it sticks besides the signal-backgroundplates but i've less visibility, although Dutch-Signals has bigger background-plates :)

I wonder if the light.ace is specialy edited, besides the alfa, would ReMipIt has any effect? It didn't had any effect on my light-textures i've made.

But it's a great solution!

Greetz from Dereck ;)

Hi Jason,

It's a great idea this improvement in visibility :)

I've made some tests and i believe the secret is the edited SigLight.ace, i've tried to edit it with TgaTool2 and recompressed it, but the effect was gone, so the secret is not only the blowed-up light-texture :)
    I think the SigLight.ace has edited mip-levels, but the opposite what ReMipIt does, it looks like a extra blurry-texture! :)

Does anyone knows what ReMipIt does whit a ace-file??

Jason, can you reviel the secret off the ace-file to us please? ;)

Thanks for answering and Greets from Dereck ;)

Hmm, well, I haven't seen Scott since he moved out of Chicago and became one of them downstaters, but as I recall anything having to do with makeace destroys the mipmapping, so reducing the size wouldn't work. Since this one was remipped manually running remipit on it wouldn't work either. Looks like them track textures you have in that screenshot could use remipit too, that's really UGLY!! This is obviously a totally different animal, I just tried compressing the PO&N track texture (3Dtracks.zip), and I get the same effect you have there, have to makeace uncompressed and run remipit, then leave it uncompressed. This siglight.ace is compressed, so it's definitely different from normal remipit.

Anyway, the problem you have there is probably the same, forest regions. The good news is the ace with the alpha is only visible from a cone roughly 160 degrees on the lit side of the signal, the bad news is you gotta put real trees between the signal and any forest region that would be in that same sight line.

I've been fooling around with this:

[Link Expired]

And if you overdo it, the autogantry forest does drop framerates compared to forest regions. The answer seems to be a balance between forest regions and real trees, and what I did was cloned the USdecidclump1 and 2 for tree clump objects:

[Link Expired]

And since they're not forest regions the visible alpha doesn't show up. Again, the problem is any forest region in line of sight of any signal needs to be blocked to eliminate the visible alpha, so you'll have to place a lot of them on any route that has a lot of forest regions.

Anybody wants to try these, here's the shape files and ref text, you can steal the textures out of PO&N 8... what? WHAT?! You don't have the Port Ogden and Northern?! HERETIC!! INFIDEL!! UNBELIEVER!!!!!!!

Oh all right, I'll throw in the textures too (grumble grumble);

[Link Expired]

[Link Expired]

Download those two, copy into the route you want to use them on, open the route's ref file in wordpad and scroll to the bottom, open pineclump.ref, copy the text out of that and paste it under the last datablock in your ref file. The four PONpineclumps will be in the "Vegetation Group - Tree" class in the object menu. Depending on the route you may have to delete or move forest regions farther from the track to make room for the pine tree clumps. I left the shape files uncompressed, so you can open the .s files in wordpad and do an EDIT FIND "ace", replace the 3 ace file names with whatever suits your fancy.

Update on this, it seems to affect only forest regions, I don't see the visible alpha against any other background. Bad news is with the tree clumps the alpha becomes visible between the trees if there's a forest region behind them, so it has to be completely blocked. Most route developers are aware of that little quirk about forest regions, when there are multiple forest regions you get ghost trees visible thru other trees, and even the GP38 and Dash 9 hoods turn semi transparent and you can see forest region trees thru the hoods and fuel tanks. Placing a single object that is not a forest region, even a small bush, between the track and the multiple stacked forest regions cures the problem. That don't work for this ace file. One of the screwball ideas I tried was cloning an object and painting it with a completely transparent texture, and placing the "invisoshield" behind the signal, but that don't work either. Sometimes you can unscrew alpha stacking problems by throwing another alpha into the mix, but not this time.

Looking at the task ahead of me, my first thought was going back to the dark spacer signals on the AI tracks like PO&N8 has, but then I came up with a better idea. The only lights that really need to be visible from a distance are the ones the player goes by, so:

[email protected]@@@@@@@@@JINX0G0t______

LightTextures ( 2
    LightTex ( "BNSF ltex" "SigLight.ace" 0 0 1 1 )
    LightTex ( "Scott" "smille.ace" 0 0 1 1 )
    )

After that I went thru the different signals, using

SignalLightTex ( "BNSF ltex" )

for all the AI only signals, and

SignalLightTex ( "Scott" )

for the player trailing point, facing point, and distant switch signals. Then I renamed this new file to "smille.ace", copied the default siglight.ace from USA2 into the textures folder, now I have only 3 signal sets to worry about blocking.

[Link Expired]

That cuts the number of tree clumps and forest region relocations at least in half, so I may be able to finish this abomination before the new Trainmaster comes out and makes it irrelevant. I hope.

Anyway, for the wierd colors here's what some experimenting has turned up;
    LightsTab ( 4
    LightsTabEntry (
    "Red Light"
    colour ( 255 230 40 40 )
    )
    LightsTabEntry (
    "Amber Light"
    colour ( 255 255 210 10 )
    )
    LightsTabEntry (
    "Green Light"
    colour ( 255 32 196 32 )
    )
    LightsTabEntry (
    "White Light"
    colour ( 255 211 228 254 )
    )
    )

Further adjustment is probably necessary, but the lights in the distance don't look quite as neon flourescent with those values.

Hi,
    Ich have installed the Siglight.ace of MLT. But the transparent Region is for me Signals of the Swiss Railways too big.

Signals of Swiss Railroad:
    http//www.the-train.de
    Download >Objekte> Streckenobjekte> Signale&StreckenTafeln

Where I can get a siglight.ace with better visibility witth only 256x256bit?
    Can you sent me your file?
    [email protected]

Can you explain how I can make my own siglight.ace with better Visibility?

EugenR

I got it to work on KHP2 perfectly and on the CSX M&M- I believe it has the same signals as MP3.1 and FBL V3, so adding it to those routes should be a snap!

Here is a shot from KHP2...

Looking across the Kicking Horse river, about half way to the Field station.

Closer.

Close up.

JPG compression made the lights a little harder to see in the pictures, but in the game its great.

It took me a few minutes per file route just changing the #'s. I havn't had to experiment much.

M&M looks about right at 1.04, but I'm going to try 1.03 or 1.02

Rob