Thread: Was I asking for too much of the GMON?

Default RE: Was I asking for too much of the GMON?

File: gmonl175.z01.zip, is labeled wrong. Delete the .zip and it will work.

Mike

Mike:
    Can't you post without including a bunch of screenshots? 19 in this thread alone is too many. Put them in the screenshot forum and provide a link for those who want to look at them!!
    J.R.

J.R.?

Whats your point?

Personally I found the screenshots very helpful.

I did struggle with why anyone would choose to use WinRaR as a default decompressor for Zip files when WinZip is so universally available at a reasonable price, but hey it's supposed to handle zips!

As a UK railfan with an interest in US railroads that pre-dates my current...... er, well I suppose really it's verging on an addiction to M$T$ I've been an enthusiatic visitor to TrainSim.com for a while now.

One huge difference between the US and Europe is the size of the countries. Along with this is the dramatic change in topography in Europe within comparitively short distances. One huge disadvantage that any US route builder has, compared to your European Cousins, is that if he is to reproduce an interesting or exciting "REAL" route that covers areas of varying interest, he (or she - I'm pleased to note that Train Simming isn't entirely a male preserve!) is faced with laying down a good few hundred miles of track. To make this virtual world convincing for a sim it needs enormous amounts of scenery. I'm lucky enough to have travelled a good bit and to have seen countries quite unlike my homeland in the UK or my close neighbours in Europe, and so I have a good idea of the "reality" of the scenery in underpopulated areas. However, any area of any country, however vast has some scenery!

Whilst I understand that GMON is a "work in progress" and that previous tribulations arose from the "current reality" of being able to reproduce hundreds of miles of GMO to the level of detail of Paul's released route (which I very much enjoy) I do feel that the level of detail in each version is an issue. It is for me and a good few other posters. I'm also aware that this route is freeware. I've never seen the GMO. I liked the site that Paul set up. I liked the stock, and I'm sure like many of you I looked forward to a route to run it on.

Given that M$T$ has no "fast forward" function, tens of miles of "empty scenery" seem pointless to me. I only get to escape from the "real world" for a few hours to indulge my...... o.k.ok. addiction... so when I'm lost in this virtual world, free of stress and where even the odd derailment doesn't hurt anyone..... I want to be "absorbed, convinced, involved etc."

Don't get me wrong. I've downloaded each development of GMON, as well as Paul's short route. I'm a fan. BUT I do want to know what I'm getting. I want to know which bits have FULL detail, PARTIAL detail, and NO scenery yet.

No one can criticise a man for being honest!

This isn't a FLAME, and I don't see the original poster as a FLAMER. He was trying to get the thing to work for heck's sake!

I'm a consumer rather than creator in Train Sim. That's all that time and family permit. I have enormous respect and gratitude for all those who have generously made their efforts freely avaiable to us all. Thats a huge INTERNATIONAL thank you by the way, but as the hobby grows it obviously has to become more "selective". We can't all afford a couple of extra state of the art PC's to exclusively run M$T$ on (It's getting that way). Good HONEST feedback, good or bad, has to be a part of making things work. To quote an old saying, "Not everyone who agrees with you is necessarily your friend, nor evreyone who disagrees with you is necessarily your enemy."

Let's just say that IMHO some smaller lengths of more detailed route would have been better.

If we look at Marias Pass, Whitefish, Seattle and a couple of other works in progress you'll see what I mean.

Geoff
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Geoff:
    My point is taken from the NEW rules:

Screenshots are allowed in all forums, however multiple screenshots are best suited for the Screenshot Forum.

Post 1 screenshot here and provide a link to the other 18. Is that asking too much? Not everybody wants to scroll thru 19 screenshots to read replies.

J.R.

>Not everybody wants to scroll thru 19 screenshots to read replies.
    Its a real pain in azz with a 56k.

-Matt

Matt.

My sincere apologies. It's easy to forget how much impact loads of images has on dial-up users. A pain in the B*tt, and if you have to pay for time on line an expensive one.

J.R.

I also take your point that a link to images doesn't "block" the forum. It doesn't however help the dial-up user. They'll still be waiting!

As I stated I'm a great fan of TrainSim, a Premium member and good value for money too, but the biggest lack of development in Train Simming is not the lack of rotating turntables, animated people or 3-D cabs, it's the awful forum software.

Over on UKTrainSim we have the same problem. I'm sure Nels, like Matt, would agree. The Search engine is a joke. Limitations on graphics are laughable and the whole user interface is like a history lesson in DROSS (DOS)!

You may have noticed that over on UKTS there is a facility to post thumbnails of screenshots that link to the full size picture on another site, also part of Atomic systems. I've used this facility to post screenshots on these forums. Frankly the limitations of graphics for screenshots on these forums has until recently produced images that did not do justice to the sim or to the time that people put into posting them.

Maybe Nel's could investigate a similar system?

In short, apologise for the rules, push the envelope and think outside the box. I don't like the smilies on this forum so take this with a "pinch of salt", a bit of a grin and a big hug!

Geoff

P.S.

More to the point is the issue with the problems or route building in a "BIG" country?

Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Ok folks I'll try to keep that in mind

Mike:+
    Sinclair97

Default Was I asking for too much of the GMON?

I have Broadband that never delivers corrupted files; that said, of the eleven latest GMON files, I downloaded the two GMON Zip files again--just to be on the safe side!

I followed the instructions to the letter using my trusty WinRar extractor, but I have had hours of frustration, so it would be interesting if anyone else has succeeded where I have failed.

You wanna the a proof? I give a you the a proof:

Mike x( :'( :-(
    Sinclair97

Thanks very much Mike, after that I had no problems at all and all credit to Jim the route ran without a hitch. I ran from one end of the route to the other in one of my speed busters; however...

Sinclair97