Thread: Viewing .s type files ?

Default Viewing .s type files ?

Hi all,
    Can anyone advise me how to view .s type files for editing,ie. changing pantograph heights etc.
    Some .s files are viewable others are not!
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Camer.;)

Default RE: Viewing .s type files ?

Route Riter or Shape File Manager, available in the file library, will decompile and then recompile .s files.

funnelfan Guest

Is there any kind of visual editor, or some way to load a .S file into Train Sim Molder. I've been trying to fix a articulated stack car in the text mode, it just plain sucks. Although I pretty much figured out how the .S file is laid out now. The shape file manager should be used only on static items, as it will cause problems on complex items.

>Route Riter or Shape File Manager, available in the file
    >library, will decompile and then recompile .s files.

Doh! I remembered I have both Route Riter & File Manager on board after I sent the post!!! Thanks Sniper all the same.
    Camer

This is a very touchy issue and one that often generates a few flames. That's because the .s files are considered to be the property of the original creator, and the ability to load them into TSM or GMax would allow unscrupulous folks to change a hand railing or other simple item and re-load the model as their own work, which it clearly would not be. Although there are certainly advantages to being able to "tweak" a model for legitimate purposes, the overwhelming consensus of the group is that this is not something to be pursued. I believe there have been several modelers who have left the forum because of this issue, and many more who have threatened such action.

Bottom line - if you just can't live with a certain model, you've got a few options:
    1. Convince the original author to make the change and upload the revised model;
    2. Convince the original author to send you the TSM or GMax source file, with agreed upon creditation;
    3. Build your own model from scratch;
    4. Don't use the model you don't like.

It may not be the answer you'd like to hear, but as I noted, that's the way this community has decided to behave.

Andy

Look for the shape viewer program in the file library. It is called Sview I think. It lets you view the critter but provides no way to make any changes.

Be Seeing you.
    Michael

Hi Andy !

I am sorry having to point out that unless SHAPES are perfect, leaving no room for improvement, it is frequently necessary to EDIT their files in order to make improvements or put things right.

I just posted about Perfecting Rolling Stock, finding more things not being what they should be !

I have been doing this for some time now, adjusting PANTOGRAPHS so that they touch the Overhead Wire of the Route they are being used in and making WHEELS run on TOP of the rails, not floating above or sinking in. The MLT-DASH9 and NALW BIG BLOW Turbines wheels improvements being available from my Web Site:

www.otto-wipfel.co.uk/downloads/mlt-dash9.zip
    http://www.otto-wipfel.co.uk/downloa..._bigblowup.zip

Frequent changes to Rolling Stock Physics are also necessary to make Couplers behave, etc.

All this is "Modifying" the Creator's original design also !

O t t o