Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Method to limit frame rates?

Default RE: Method to limit frame rates?

>I have had ATI and nVidia video cards, and with both of them I could fix the Frame Rate in any particular resolution.
    >Have a look around your GFX card setup, see what you can find!

What you are setting is the screen refresh rate, nothing to do with FR in the sim.

Cheers
    Derek

Wouldn't it be pointless to have a frame rate higher than the refresh rate of the monitor? I have a comparatively "slow" lcd screen with a refresh rate of 60hz - I would also imagine that a frame rate which is a high multiple of the refresh rate (i.e. 15, 20, 30) would reduce the jerkiness just a bit. Any thoughts on this?

dgauci Guest

>Wouldn't it be pointless to have a frame rate higher than
    >the refresh rate of the monitor? I have a comparatively
    >"slow" lcd screen with a refresh rate of 60hz - I would also
    >imagine that a frame rate which is a high multiple of the
    >refresh rate (i.e. 15, 20, 30) would reduce the jerkiness
    >just a bit.

Yes, you shouldn't continue to see any improvements in the apparent quality once the FPS exceeds the screen refresh rate. With my monitor refresh rate set at 85hz, I should see improvements until I exceeded 85fps. MSTS is capped at 60fps no matter what kind of hardware you have.

Once you get your fps consistently above 30fps your eye should perceive it as smooth continuous movement. For reference motion pictures are 24fps and television is 30fps. But both of those formats have motion blur in their individual frame images which helps the eye with the illusion of movement, not the sharply drawn images that a PC will render for each displayed frame.