Thread: Fernandina Rocket Activity- FL Funnel

Default Fernandina Rocket Activity- FL Funnel

I really like this route. Kent Weissinger did a great job putting this thing together. Is anyone working on any updates for it?

Anyone completed the Fernandina Rocket activity?
    I have been trying for a couple of years (on and off) to get through this activity. I always get stuck at Folkston. I cannot get the switch to let me get over on the left rack so I can couple to the cars located just south of town. Are these even supposed to get picked up? If so, how do you get over to the left track?

Also, the latest activity, Intermodel Rice Yard... I still can't get it to unpack. I've changed the Funnel folder name to US3. If Chessieman is reading this, could you just put all the files neccessary in a folder already unpacked or something? I admire his efforts since he is only fourteen. I would really like to try his activity.

Thanks to all who keep MS Trainsim alive!

Earl

Default RE: Fernandina Rocket Activity- FL Funnel

You mentioned something about weather the cars located south of town should even be picked up...what does it say in the briefing at the start of the activity? Having said that, how do you know you are stuck if you don't even know where you are going? When you say your stuck at a switch in Folkston, are you truly stuck at a red signal, just sitting there, or is the signal green, allowing you to continue out of town and to the end point, or are you somehow assuming that your suppose to switch tracks there? Some activites just have cars sitting at random in sidings to fill in and make it look like a normal route, but this often increases the FPS decline if used heavily. If the signal is green, than keep going.

Hey Chris,
    Thanks for your reply.

"You mentioned something about weather the cars located south of town should even be picked up...what does it say in the briefing at the start of the activity?"
    reply: The briefing is a little brief on this so I'm uncertain as to whether these particular cars are for pick up.

"Having said that, how do you know you are stuck if you don't even know where you are going?"
    reply: I do know where I'm going once I can get past this section of the activity.

"When you say your stuck at a switch in Folkston, are you truly stuck at a red signal, just sitting there, or is the signal green, allowing you to continue out of town and to the end point, or are you somehow assuming that your suppose to switch tracks there?"
    reply: There is no red light. I am asking if I need to cross over... if the cars are pickups... if they are not, then it is no problem to complete.

"Some activites just have cars sitting at random in sidings to fill in and make it look like a normal route, but this often increases the FPS decline if used heavily."
    reply: respectfully, I know this.

"If the signal is green, than keep going."
    reply: Yes that's what I normally do also. Again, I am asking if anyone who has done this activity knows whether the cars are for pick up and if so how do you get across the switches.

Thanks again Chris for your reply. I hope I have cleared up any misconceptions.
    Have a great evening.
    Earl

The overall point I am making, as a activity maker, if you have a green, then keep going. If you are suppose to crossover, then you will be directed as such, unless you have a AI coming at you, in which case you would have a red, and then afterwards, a green and the switch would be thrown. 99% of the time in a activity, you don't need to do anything other than drive the train, and follow along with what the designer has done. Unlike explore mode, you cannot alter the path without messing up future events. So unless otherwise directed by the sim, or told in the briefing, keep going.

I found the activity in question. If you read the "read me", you would know that the pick up and set off in Folkston is NORTH of town, on the right hand side. Upon reaching the siding, you should see a reverse point symbol on your track monitor. When you are ready to access this switch, you will have to do so manually if I recall. I don't use reverse points very much becasue I have found them to be tricky and difficult to use correctly as needed, but in any event, you need to be on the north side of Folkston, and the siding you are looking for is on your right hand side. It is amazing what one can discover when reading the enclosed documents.

Chris,
    I think you are trying to help. I really appreciate it, sir. With all due respect to you as a maker of activities, perhaps you should chill a little. I'm sure you have to deal with all kinds of dumb questions people may send you which could have been answered if they had just bothered to read the read me.... you probably have a right to be a little edgy. But not with me.

I assure you I have read the "read me". I am familiar with the pick up and set out you refer to North of town. This is no problem. There are a fairly large num,ber of cars just South of town (on the left) just as you start to get into Folkston. My question is.... do these cars also get picked up and if so how do you cross over to the left track to get them. Have you actually tried this activity? I think if you had maybe you would understand the question better.

I do understand your point and thank you for sharing it.
    Thanks again for the reply,
    Earl

I wasn't trying to talk down to you. I have not run this activity, but I simply looked up the file, and read the read me, and found that there are two pick ups and one set out. The first one is before Callahan, on the right side, and the other is north of Folkston, again, on the right side. It does not say anything about a pick up south of Folkston, on the left side. If you were meant to do so, than the creator would have made you take a path to reflect that. I am sure if you look up the briefing, it probally says the same thing that the read me did. I tried to be of some help, but obviously my point is not getting across. Good luck with the activity and enjoy.

If I recall correctly, once you have made your drop at the siding north of town, you reverse back to where you left your train south of town, if you back far enough, you should hit a reverse point which should trigger the crossover to get you to the turnout to Waycross. I ran this a couple of times successfully on my computer, but shortly after the activity was uploaded, someone told me they ended up with a head-on at SE Waycross, and the timing for the AI train was changed. Based on that, I know that once you back down and hook up to your train, if you have triggered the reverse point, the crossover switch WILL work. Good luck.

As to updating the Funnel, I have added the new double track from SE Hague to the junction and I have run a line south and west from Moncrief thru Honeymoon wye to Baldwin. However, updating the Funnel is priority 3 for me now that I have fallen off the wagon and gotten addicted to the RE again. I suspect there will be an updated Funnel for TMTS but probably not until then.

Kent aka flarrfan

Hi Kent,
    Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate the Funnel. I'll keep trying the Rocket activity. Thanks for the help.

Did you upload the additional trackage you mentioned? I have search all over for anything to do with the Florida Funnel and found nothing. If you haven't uploaded it, would you consider emailing the files to me? I'd love to expand the Funnel.

Thanks again for the Funnel Route. It is great.
    Earl