Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What format should *.s files be in??

Default What format should *.s files be in??

I have some engine shape files that will not open up in Shape Viewer. I used the fixshpv1.zip to attempt the repair but it can not do anything with the file. I did notice that when opening a file in Wordpad that works with shape viewer, it is not legible. The *.s file that I am having problems with opens in Wordpad and is legible. Do I need to convert this to another code and if so, what is the best approach.

Really appreciate help in advance.

Rochester Mike
    Thanks,

Rochester Mike

Default RE: What format should *.s files be in??

Hi Peter !

This file needs to be "compressed" using Route Riter. Some will not, having missing brackets or other code syntax errors.

O t t o

Thanks for the quick reply Otto...

Interesting. I used Jedit and the first and last brackets do not pair up with anything. Not sure why. I have used this editor to repair files with missing brackets which were indicated as having problems with the EngMod bracket checking function. Should I seek out the bracket problem and then try to compress it using RR? And, What is the path to compress the file??

Thanks,

Rochester Mike

Shape-Viewer should be able to view a valid .s file whether it is compressed or not. However as Otto says, some files will not compress due to errors in the .s file (usually where someone has manually edited them) and because they are faulty, then it is unlikely that they can be viewed in any viewer.

I have also recently come across a number of .s files from European sites which were apparently compressed with ffeditc_unicode.exe using the /u flag (which is used to compress unicode files). These can not be viewed by Shape Viewer, Route-Riter or by Okrasa's new program Archibald.

To fix these you have to recompress them with ffeditc_unicode.exe using the /c flag, then they work OK. I am going to add this option to Route-Riter so that all .s files can then be viewed correctly.

Mike

Mike and Peter, I found that the Shape File Viewer had a problem with some larger uncompressed files it could not load. Compressing them with ROUTE RITER then worked, providing they had no internal coding errors ! ;-)

O t t o

Recently someone on the forum pointed out the default SD402.s has and error that can keep it from showing in sView and from compressing properly. It's not to hard to find the extra backslash in part of a 'anim_node WIPERBLADELEFT1' section. I've got that file down from 6.13MB to 359KB and loads in sView just fine now. I'm sure many repaint carry this problem forward.

Good Luck,
    Brian K.

First I want to say thanks to ALL the people, Mike etc. for the utilities they write and update to help us out.

The engines that I am having trouble with are the following:
    TKW CR SD40-2 #6392
    TKW CR SD40-2 #6449
    TKW CR SD40-2 #6450
    TKW CR SD40-2 #6478

These are downloads from Train Sim (crsd40_1.zip, crsd40_2.zip, crsd40_3.zip, crsd40_4.zip) written by The Keystone Works.

As mentioned earlier, I have other TKW engines whose *.s files are compressed and work fine in Shape Viewer. I would like to learn more so if anyone can discover the error (ex. #6392) and let me know what it is, this would help me out in the future. I tried to compress the TKW_CR_SD40-2_6392.s using Route Riter but I am unable to.

Hope this helps someone with enough information to help me in me problem. Look forward to response.

Rochester Mike
    Thanks,

Rochester Mike

Open the .s file in a unicode editor and search for "/". You'll find it in one the wiper sections of the file. Delete it and then you should be able to compress the file and view it.

Regards,

Eric
    Regards,

Eric

I'll give it a try in a while and see how I make out. Let you know. Thanks for the reply.

Rochester Mike
    Thanks,

Rochester Mike

Yeah, it's the TA/Kuju SD40-2 that's giving you fits. You may have to open it in Shape File Manager or Route Riter rather than in a unicode text editor to be able to edit it. Usually the offending character is near the very bottom section of the .s file, but that is not always the case. I believe it is related to the left wiper, but I can't remember what line in the .s code it actually lies in. If you search for ".s" here at the forums, you'll eventually stumble across the "correct" answer. :) Good luck!