Thread: Display problems on drive D

Default Display problems on drive D

well the other day my computer crapped out again but not to serious but until I tried out TS the display was too big so I changed the display setting for TS 1024x??? started it up again but its still in the 640x??? display like default I had reinstall TS on D drive too but this is the first time it has happened to me also I get a error and have to go to the msts folder in D: and click on train icon but I can't TS on desktop or I get a error message A required .DLL file,TSMVHLP.DLL was not found but it's in the TS file? My computer specs are Win/2000 (its kinda old but gets the job done) I don' get it?

Jeremy Smith West Plains,MO
    BNSF Thayer Subdivision

Default RE: Display problems on drive D

Screen size/display setting. What is your normal desktop set to? Could be a problem with the display drivers.

If you drag the exe file onto the desktop you will get that error because the required file is not in the same folder as the exe. However, if you drag a shortcut onto the desktop it will work properly.

Beer is not a matter of life and death. It is much more serious than that.
    mervyn.

Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

hey merv!
    well let see screen size 800x600 32bit color thats the norm I'm not sure if it would be the display drivers I had it worked on over the weekend..
    How would I go about finding a TS shortcut?

BNSF Thayer Subdivision

Hi Jeremy !

Your MSTS seems to have a problem retaining changed Options settings, reverting to the Install Defaults.

This is usually due to it being in a Drive the Registry is not ware of !

On which drive is \Program Files\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\ now and where did you Install MSTS to last ?

Once I know that I can then give you further instructions.

O t t o

I had MSTS on drive C took to our computer place and they put it on drive D with GB about 48.? It worked great for a while then this last weekend computer went out took down to the computer place and they had to delete everything that was not onit when we first got the computer,but it was still on the computer but had to search for the stuff and put back on desktop maybe I have to reinstall TS? now I have TS on both drive C,D C drive has everything on MSTS that was installed before AUG a major crash It works ok but not a lot HD drive space drive D has alot of space MSTS dosen't work right using D drive

BNSF Thayer Subdivision

Ottodad
    It sounds to me like when he reinstalled C drive it changed his registry. Mine did the same thing because I had MSTS installed on a seperate drive. Everything would revert to default settings no matter what I did. I ended up making a backup copy of MSTS and then uninstalling and re-installing it. Then I moved everything back to the right folders and then things were fine. I can't remember if I had to run all the batch files again or not.
    I'm not sure if this would work for him but it fixed mine.

Jim

O.K., Jeremy, one way to find out is to have a look into the REGISTRY with

Start/Run regedit and do a Edit/Find Hwrenderer.

Above it is a folder called 1.0. Click on it to turn it blue and in the right-hand pane it will show where MSTS has been installed into:

[Link Expired]

EXIT regedit without changing anything.

If you are not confident doing that then run the MSTS in your Drive C: and change it's Options settings, SAVE them and EXIT. If they are the changed settings the next time you go into that MSTS, than it's the "Installed" copy of MSTS.

Try the same in your Drive D: MSTS and it will not work or vice versa.

You also say your local computer shop installed MSTS for you. From the MSTS CD ?

Waiting for your report !

O t t o

To get the TS shortcut onto your desktop you navigate to your Train Simulator folder and locate the file called Train.exe.
    Right click and drag it over to the desktop and drop it. Select create as Shortcut from the menu.

Looking at your normal screen res it seems to be MSTS at fault somewhere, or the changes are not being made to the registry, which is more likely.

Beer is not a matter of life and death. It is much more serious than that.
    mervyn.

Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

It's easier still doing it this way in WIN-XP, having right-clicked on the Train.exe !

O t t o

[Link Expired]