Thread: Firing (Or not) with Fred or How to kill an AI Fireman and help for nubs!

Default Firing (Or not) with Fred or How to kill an AI Fireman and help for nubs!

So I downloaded the wonderful D class Shay. And I repainted it (My first!) And now I run it. And it's been in running this 150-ton 4 truck behmouth that it hit me *Imitates Golum* The injectors, they kills us!
    IMO one of the finest running steamers on MSTS rails today is the 4-8-4 SPS 700. And in running on the default Marias route I, or Fred as it was, would hit the wall. Where steam generation almost stops. Where if you shut her off, and let her sit, she'll refuse to make up a head of steam. I think we've all had this happen at one time or another. It's annoying as all get out, because you're stuck. You can't do anything but quit and try again. But I did notice something. The injectors greatly increase your steam usage. And since Fred is a moron, he uses the injectors at whim, regardless of terrain. I wish there were a simple fix to to this, well firing for oneself, but I'm an engineer, why I have Fred right? I guess the my point is "When the injectors hit, shut off your throttle and save steam." *repeats* Fred will do his best to keep ahead of you UNLESS the injectors are running. If you try and jocky your way past this, he'll simply have a virtual heart atttack and cease functioning. He's an older man, Fred.
    "Put 'er in run eight and let it all hang out!"
    Nighttime Train James

Default RE: Firing (Or not) with Fred or How to kill an AI Fireman and help for nubs!

Simple solution for you, turn one off like this.........
    InjectorSizes ( 0mm 17mm )17 being the correct number for
    the engine I grabbed this from, it could be like this.........
    InjectorSizes ( 0mm 12mm )and so on you'll see a difference as
    you will be using only one injector instead of the Kuju 2

Hope this helps some.

Regards, Rick

Default RE: Firing (Or not) with Fred or How to kill an AI Fireman and help for nubs!

Someone should disect Fred and figure how he operates. I was on my way with four loads and three emptys from Wfish to Kspel and lo and behold, even with my careful steaming (The D class only requies 4% throttle) and watching everthing, very gradualy my steam output went down as my steam usage went up. I made it to the Kspell Lumber spur before she refused to get up steam. At all. Plainsman, any imput? How does Fred work, and what factors affect him? Because right now, he's having cardiac seizure if I use him for more then about an hour.
    Nighttime Train James

The AI fireman is next to useless. If you take the trouble to do it yourself and set a reasonable fire mass etc, it makes the whole thing easy. The trouble with that is, you spend the whole time in the cab adjusting settings.

SB

My current guess is fire mass as matter of fact. I wish I could see the detailed hud with him on. My GUESS is as the sound of shoveleng becomes constant after about, oh, thirty minutes of running, I'm running low on coal. The .eng filre places 3lbs of coal per shovelful. BUT the shay does not have a tender persay. Wonder if that my have something to do with it. Hmmm....
    Nighttime Train James