Thread: RR And Natural Disasters

Default RR And Natural Disasters

There has been an increase in disasters in the US and around the world. I have a friend in New Orleans that works at a Dormitory where the NS engineers bed down to rest at a NS yard there. That city had an evacuation last year when a hurricane threaten to hit. When there is a threat of a disaster, airlines try to move planes out and not allow any to come into a area under threat. Do RR's take the same approach?

Default RE: RR And Natural Disasters

Don't think so. when a train derails, as they do sometimes, the route is blocked until it is all cleared away and fixed. Unless there is a way for trains to use another route, they stay where they are.
    Ted

Im not sure about hurricanes, but when I was up in Rochelle' IL once, the wind was 25MPH steady and gusts of 55+ After a few minutes I heard the dispatcher call out, UP Dispatcher to all trains between MP ? to MP ? on the Geneva Subdivsion, we have a wind advisory in effect between MP ? to ?, proceed at restricted speed untill further notice. Although I cant remember exactly what he said, it was somthing similar, and I cant remember the Mileposts hence the ?'s.
    - Nick K.

I remember when the hurricanes were coming through Florida last year that CSX staged MOW trains and equipment NEAR the areas where the storms were expected to damage track so that they would be ready to rehabilitate the tracks quickly when the storms passed. NS did something similar when Fran (?) came through N.C. a few years back and flooded a lot of the east coast of the state.

Another thing the railroads did that I thought was interesting - they removed the crossing arms off the railroad crossings in the area so that the arms would not become projectiles during the winds!

Joe

I know if a yard is about to get flooded they empty it and place balast cars thoughout the yard just so the tracks dont move positions.

Up here in the Wisconsin/Minnesota area, some of the railroads have a policy that any train approaching a county with a tornado warning in effect has to stop and wait for the warning to expire. Any train in the warning area is to proceed (and hope like hell they don't get hit). I don't know about restricted speeds though.....

During the summer of 1998 I was making engineer qualifying trips between Savannah, GA and Florence, SC when a hurricane came up the eastern seaboard from Florida. The night it hit Georgia and South Carolina I was north bound on an intermodal train from Savannah (the train originated out of Jacksonville, Fl). After they ran Amtrak’s Auto-train around us the railroad was taking down crossing gates. At Florence the Amtrak train was terminated and the passengers taken off the train. I pulled our train up to the crew change area at Florence and a new crew got on and took it north. As far as I know that train went on all the way to Richmond, VA that night. I however got stuck in the hotel at Florence for two days before they released us to go back to Savannah.

AMD Athlon64/FX-55 (San Diego)
    Asus A8N-SLI Premium
    Corsair XMS (2048Mb)
    2x Leadtek Nvidia 7800GTX (SLI)
    Audigy2 ZS Gamer Edition
    2x WD Raptors (74Gb/10,000Rpm/RAID 0)
    Plextor Premium CD-RW
    Plextor PX-716A DVD-R
    Enermax 600Watt/SLI Power Supply
    SilverStone TJ03
    Widows XP Pro/SP2

Adding to what Nick had stated, I was on a WB Amtrak Southwest Chief this past June. We had just entered Missouri when we encountered a hugh black low-lying cloud. The BNSF dispatcher told our engineer to stop IMMEDIATELY as the winds in the area were reported to be above 55 mph. We sat for about 45 minutes before proceeding west. Needless to say, the Superliners rocked pretty good in the wind....hate to see what additional train speed would've added to the equation.