Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: POTASH ROUTE

Default RE: POTASH ROUTE

Hey Bill, hoping you can assist me in replacing the track texture that you mentioned. I'm assuming by your "thanks Otto" that you used Otto Wipfel's tracks.zip. I'm not real familiar with stuff like this, but from what I can understand it looks like this gives you many different textures to choose from. After downloading, I'm having problems getting the TGATool2.exe to work, so that I can view the different textures. To hopefully simplfy the process for me, which track texture did you use? Thanks in advance for your help!

I have found Otto W's track changer program to be very easy to use. I've used it successfully to change tracks on two different freeware routes.

I myself run RouteRiter after every route I install, except payware, and time & time again it has caught errors that would've crashed the sim if not corrected. This route went through without an error, but others haven't so lucky and it was just a matter of looking through some of my other routes to find the missing items. Not a big deal when someone is giving you the route for free! Only takes 10 or so minutes to do a check, worth it for touble free running.

Mike

René writes:

Thanks to all for your comments re. Potash .
    I remembered the Trainmaster version. I wanted to test how MSTS would render extreme terrain . I gathered information, and built something halfway of the original (1962), and today (only 1 weekly train).

Right, no signals, BUT I deliberately added some to allow for acts.
    And I increased the limits partly to make it less boring than the real 30 mph all along.Who does not want to see signals/wrong limits trashes them !

I spent nearly 6 months of fun on the exercise, my only wish is that you ENJOY the scenery.
    I know that this Route will not be a big marking stone, as for acts there are very limited possibilities.
    Now I continue expanding Whitefish6 to Whtefish7, more of a runner, I believe.

BTW, this D&RGW_1.ace SHOULD get copied if you have template.ace in your TEMPLATE. Definitely does at my end. Minor thing...

Of course Route_Riter does complains MANY textures missing, simply because as stated the Route is restricted to SUMMER season, so many SNOW textures ARE absent !

The purpose was to offer a RUNNABLE route, not a RR-fit certificate !

Also, forgot to mention that the 2 consists in the CONSISTS subfolder are for cpying to TRAINS/CONSISTS, of course.

And, if installme.bat does not work on the first go, it might be due to MicrosoftAntiSpyware beta. If you 'allow', it might copy zilch the first time, but work on second attempt.

Enjoy ! René.

End quote.
    Pierre wishes you Love + Peace !
    Please visit also www.the-train.de

Rene,

I just ran the length of your Potash and it is really breathtaking.

Also, just finished exploring about 200 miles the Whitefish 6 route, and this too is really good. The cuts and fills you model allows for a very efficient alignment.

Many thanks

Charlie

What a spectacular route!!! The scenery is just outstanding! I think this is the first route I have been on that I would back away from the train and look at the scenery..WOW. NICE JOB!!
    Does anyone have any consist photos from say 1975-1985 on this route? Any idea what real grade profile is on this?
    Again, thanks for the splendid work, just outstanding!!
    Bob

Thanks !

The profile should be quite realistic, as DEMEX used, and USAPhotomaps.
    As to consists 20-30 years ago, Google, or some raifans ?

Hi,
    I did not mean to imply the grades were off, only I wondered what they would be in percent grade so as to calculate consist? I am guessing this has some pretty steep grades and heavy trains.
    Thanks,
    Bob

Some sections are real steep.
    Run it uphill, towards the top, or rather a few miles earlier, you locally need full throttle with 2 x GP38 hauling only 10 waggons.

Then compare the altitude of 3 consecutive track pieces, and make it out.
    René can also tell you from the angle values in the *.W track data, but he is probably not online tonight.

TS Mapper tells me about 12 o/oo , does his make sense?

USRailFan Guest

The consist used in Trainmaster is 3 x SD40-2s with 40 covered hoppers. Dunno what time frame they illustrate but I think it is the UP era (ie late 90s). I've seen a photo in TRAINS with 2 x tunnel motors (full DRGW paint) and a number of PS hoppers. Nowadays it seems to be 2 x SP AC4400CWs, 4-5 cylindrical hoppers, 4-5 tankers, and a couple of bulkhead flats. An educated guess would be that a typical 80s consist might be roughly as today, with a couple of tunnel motors instead of AC4400CWs.

Oh, and I retract my previous criticism - the route is great.