Thread: Windows Explorer icons corrupted

Default Windows Explorer icons corrupted

Hello all

I was running train sim and lost all my icons on the desktop and then lost them in explorer. What happened was I was running train-sim and crash...

After the crash every icon I had in my system was changed to the default box with the 6 symbols in it.

I went onto my desktop and changed those back one by one but the rest in explorer do not change back. In advanced I can see what it is supposed to be but in the explorer mode I can not. I tried running a few commands restore defaults with no luck

Any ideas?

BP

Default RE: Windows Explorer icons corrupted

Hi all

OK more details...

First yes everything is working as it should

When I go into windows Explorer I get all of my folder icons as showing as the regular "default" icons (the box with the 6 symbols). However I did discover that if I changed the icon to a non traditional folder icon it would work. (I.E. if I put like an icon for another program etc in it's place it would show.

However the actual generic folder icon appears to be missing or it is not in the right place to be seen. That seems to the route of the problem System restore did nothing but make all my icons I fixed change back again.

Any ideas appreciated.

Bob

Bob, no immediate solution, but have had it happen a couple of times in the past. Seems like it was generally about 2 days and a couple of cold boots later and everything came up like it was supposed to. I even used TweakUI for XP to refresh the icons, but did no good.

If I'm not mistaken, the first time this happened, a day or two later I actually locked up XP Pro tight as a barrel, and after cutting the power and turning it back on, they came back. Had nothing to do with System Restore since I had it turned off from the very beginning, but never have figured out what causes it.

As best I can tell from what I read, I have shadowing turned on in the BIOS and figure something wrote to a memory block it shouldn't have written to and when I shut it down, it was saved as my new startup configuration.

RobertR .. ADF-M&RM at http://www.adfrr.com

TweakUI worked for me...was wierd

Thanks!

Bob

Bob, I know every system is different, but I think what gave me the problem was I shut down while they were still missing and evidently my setup was saved and kept coming up that way until I had to pull the plug.

One thing about it, those little MS Power Toys are dandies. Nothing big, but sometimes it's the little amenities that count. :-)

RobertR .. ADF-M&RM at http://www.adfrr.com